Migrating from ownCloud 10 -> NextCloud 11.0.3 fails

I finally ā€˜had itā€™ with a bunch of recent ownCloud bugs, and decided to migrate to NextCloud this weekend. Following the migration guide here:
https://nextcloud.com/migration/

I downloaded the NextCloud 11.0.3 tarball, followed the steps, ran ā€˜occ upgradeā€™ andā€¦ failure. ā€œException: Updates between multiple major versions and downgrades are unsupported.ā€ Fair enough, I fired up the web browser, tried again from the login page for kicks, andā€¦ same failure. Mildly frustrating.

Given that, whatā€™s my migration path to NextCloud from ownCloud 10.0.0-1.1?

I think their documentation needs to be updated, but I think you need to go from the latest version of ownCloud to Nextcloud 10.0.x. Then from there you should be able to upgrade to 11.0.x. Let us know how that goes.

No love. Installing Nextcloud 10.0.5 and trying to re-run the upgrade gives me " Downgrading is not supported and is likely to cause unpredictable issues (from 10.0.0.12 to 9.1.5.2)"

Thatā€™s no good. I would recommend posting something on Github about this, so the developers can look at it.

I wonder if thereā€™s a workaround by changing the version string in config.php

Just throwing this out there for now:

It looks like migration from OC 10 to NC 11 is blocked in 11.0.3 as NC needs to be the soon-released v12.

Ping @LukasReschke @MorrisJobke @tflidd for suggestions.

There is currently no upgrade path available. We are looking into this, but because of many changed parts in the DB schema this requires some work.

1 Like

Thatā€¦ seems like it would be a good thing to have in the documentation, perhaps the ā€˜valid use of the <blink> tagā€™ long referenced in lore and song. Now my owncloud instance is down and I have cranky users. Whatā€™re we looking at for a release date for v12?

So about 3 weeks, so I suggest you pull out your backup and go on restoring.
And next time do a cross-crade on a mirror server, not on the live one, or migrate manually.

I just made an attempt to migrate to NC 12 from OC 10.0.0.12 to NC 12 Beta (and 11, and 10, and so on). Alas, I failedā€¦

Admittedly, I may have acted prematurely but I thought Iā€™d try it anyway.

Anyone else give this a shot, yet (i.e. migrating from OC10 to NC12-Beta)?

Is the final NC12 support a migration from OC 10 ?

It Works For Me ā„¢. Just did it yesterday, it was mostly seamless. There are some Apache modifications to be made (nothing earth shattering), but once those were sorted the usual ā€œocc upgradeā€ did its thing and everything came up.

As always, YMMV, take and test your backups, etc, etc.