Migrate from ownCloud (nginx, PHP7.4) to Nextcloud on Raspberry Pi 4?

Hi guys,
completely new here, completely new to Nextcloud.
I have a Raspberry 4 up and running with ownCloud and want to use that same Raspberry Pi (and if possible at all that same microSD card and installed Raspbian OS) for Nexcloud instead.
The ownCloud installation is just a couple of days old and there are just a few files on it.

What’s the best migration strategy? Is there a way at all? There are other services running on that Raspberry Pi, too, so it has to stay up. I run nginx for ownCloud on port 444 (and 81) because 443 and 80 were already used by another service.

Any ideas? :flushed:

Thanks so much! :hugs:

I don’t know of any particular migration steps from ownCloud to Nextcoud :pray: but since you only have a few files on it, in my opinion the absolute easiest way is just to move those files out from the data directory, remove ownCloud & install Nextcloud.

You could also install docker, pull the nextcloudpi image and start that one up with your current nginx config if you want and then move the files from ownCloud to Nextcloud, removing ownCloud afterwards.

I wouldn’t recommend staying on a microSD card though when you have a Raspberry Pi 4, they are quite prone for corruption and isn’t really that suitable for long-term use with a webserver & webDAV.

Raspberry Pi 4 can instead boot directly from an external drive, which isn’t as prone to corruption, as long as the Pi has a proper power supply & the external drive has a proper one for itself as well.

Not only has it improved longevity, it also increases the potential available storage you can use with your Pi in the root filesystem and also improves I/O speeds with the USB 3.0 ports

2 Likes

Thank you @ZendaiOwl for answering and all those hints! :pray:
My ownCloud files are not on the main microSD card where the Raspbian Pi OS is. They are on a USB Flash drive that‘s connected to one of the USB 3.0 ports of the Raspberry Pi.
But, of course, flash memory, too, isn‘t that reliable. But what is? A hard disk? Well, better, but head crash do happen, too, sometimes. :man_shrugging:
But these are interesting ideas I haven‘t considered yet … booting a Raspi from an external drive.
The easiest way you suggest sounds good. Is there an easy way to install Nextcloud on an already running Raspberry Pi OS system that already runs other services on ports 80 and 443? I just found tutorials where you have to do many things manually, like creating the MySQL database by hand etc. On first sight I only saw installation instructions that assume you start from scratch and with a dedicated „Nextcloud only“ setup.
:flushed:

Thanks so much
Stefan.

Yes, using a docker container would be one way to do it, either with docker, podman or minikube (Kubernetes) and change the external ports on the container. Then add them to your reverse proxy as another service

1 Like

Okay … So I’m faced with a Docker installation first … wanted to avoid that, tbh. But maybe it’s indeed the “cleanest” solution … Will consider it. Thanks for your help!! Much appreciated! :pray:

1 Like

A docker installation is actually really easy on the Pi once you read more about it in the docker documentation. Currently you need to add the repository manually to get the latest working docker engine on raspbian working, and so Docker made a script you can use specifically for this (it’s a one-time use, only for first-install without prior installation, afterwards you use the package manager) which made it really easy.

You can find the script at get.docker.com and install it using curl as shown in the top comment.

Edit: And here is the documentation part with a notice saying you need to use the convenience script for Raspbian, since the repository installation isn’t currently supported. (Prior to using the script, of course)

1 Like