Migrate Caldav and Carddav data from OwnCloud 5.0.11 to a new NextCloud set-up

Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.2): Latest (not yet installed)
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Raspbian / NextCloudPi (not yet installed)

I’m running an ancient Owncloud 5.0.11 on my Synology Diskstation - the Synology package has not been maintained for ages, and as Owncloud worked ok so far, I never verified versions :wink:

This Owncloud is only used to sync contacts (CardDav) and calendars (CalDav) to various clients, only 2 users.

I’m about to set up NextCloud on a Raspery Pi 3b using CloudNextPi and want to migrate the contacts and calendar entries there.

What is the best way to do that? Typical migration advice covers replacing Owncloud with Nextcloud on the same system, but here I want to start from scratch. I’m not very experienced with Linux, so an easy export / import option would be ideal :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

Yes, in your case there would be a lot of steps (all major versions) and your idea to make a new setup is probably the better solution.

Some carddav and caldav clients can make backup copies themselves, so you could use this, then connect to the new server and save the data back. There are also script to do this from outside:

Perhaps there are a few others.

Since you have different systems, you can set up the new setup and then just try different solutions :wink: I’d rather try a solution that uses caldav and carddav to copy the data instead of manually copy the ownCloud and Nextcloud database. There is a considerable version gap, there might be some things that have changed. There are probably a few more topics here on the forum.

Thanks a lot, tflidd!

I actually realized that there is a tiny download button in OwnCloud, which seems to download all calendar entries into one ICS file. So I just need to find a way to import that into NextCloud - worst case through a client (I know the android contacts app can do that, but not sure about calendars).

I’m just a bit worried this might loose some details, I guess I’ll have to try and check thoroughly…

Just to wrap this up: I used the download button in the calendars and and contact lists of owncloud, ics / vcf files get stored on your PC and the uploaded to NextCloud. Worked fine for me - but not sure if you might loose some information like dismissed or postponed reminders, for me and my family that was acceptable.

NectCloud on my RasPi3b works like a charm and way faster than OwnCloud does on my good old Synology DS110j (which has quite weak hardware).

1 Like