MariaDB binlog_format=row any drawbacks?

The Admin Manual states that you have to use binlog_format = MIXED for MySQL or MariaDB because “InnoDB is limited to row-logging when transaction isolation level is READ COMMITTED or READ UNCOMMITTED”, that’s illogical. I would expect the binlog_format=row is sufficient. So I tried this by myself. I’m running Nextcloud 11.0.1 with MariaDB 10.1.21 from mariadb.org with binlog_format=row and every thing is fine.

Is there any database expert who knows of any drawbacks of this configuration?

Otherwise we should change the manual.

1 Like

I’m about to try this myself. I’ll report back if I run into any problems that might be caused by using BINLOG_FORMAT=row.

The next version of mariadb 10.2 (in RC for the moment) will have by default binlog_format=Mixed

As I noted yesterday the admin manual has changed on trunk. The mentioned paragraph was removed.
I tested mariadb 10.2 with binlog_format=row and everything seems to be fine.
So it should be possible to set up a galera cluster even in multi master mode. I will try this when I find the time.

Yes, please let us know if it’s working

Anybody have an update on this? I haven’t tried it myself yet.

Alternatively, I was wondering if I could have a Galera multi-master cluster where most of my apps would connect to the DB cluster through a load balancer but my Nextcloud instance would talk directly to a single DB server, bypassing the load balancer.

Would that bypass this issue entirely?

I’m running mariadb 10.2 with binlog_format=row for a while now. No issues so far.

1 Like