MariaDB Barracuda file format

Nextcloud version : 15.0.12
Operating system and version: Raspbian 10 (Buster)
Apache or nginx version : nginx 1.14.2-2+deb10u1
PHP version : 7.3.9-1~deb10u1
MariaDB version: 10.3.17-MariaDB-0+deb10u1

The issue you are facing:

I’m in the process of upgrading my server stepwise from 13 to 17. I’ve made it as far as 15. In the process, the Security and Setup warnings informed me of a number of issues, including a problem with 4-byte support in MySQL. It warned me that I could not support emojis until I fixed this problem. Now that sounds like a benefit to me, but I can see a legitimate need for UTF support, so OK, it’s worth fixing.

I tried to follow the instructions in the documentation, but after making the changes in the my.cfg file and restarting MariaDB, I ran into some problems.

MariaDB [mysql]> SELECT NAME, SPACE, FILE_FORMAT FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.INNODB_SYS_TABLES WHERE NAME like "nextcloud%";
ERROR 1054 (42S22): Unknown column 'FILE_FORMAT' in 'field list'
MariaDB [mysql]>desc INFORMATION_SCHEMA.INNODB_SYS_TABLES;
+---------------+---------------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field         | Type                | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| TABLE_ID      | bigint(21) unsigned | NO   |     | 0       |       |
| NAME          | varchar(655)        | NO   |     |         |       |
| FLAG          | int(11)             | NO   |     | 0       |       |
| N_COLS        | int(11)             | NO   |     | 0       |       |
| SPACE         | int(11)             | NO   |     | 0       |       |
| ROW_FORMAT    | varchar(12)         | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| ZIP_PAGE_SIZE | int(11) unsigned    | NO   |     | 0       |       |
| SPACE_TYPE    | varchar(10)         | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
8 rows in set (0.003 sec)

It doesn’t look like there is a FILE_FORMAT column in INNODB_SYS_TABLES. When I did a SELECT on ROW_FORMAT I got a mix of “compressed” and “dynamic”, and the next instructions in the docs seemed to focus on that.

MariaDB [INFORMATION_SCHEMA]> SELECT CONCAT("ALTER TABLE `", TABLE_SCHEMA,"`.`", TABLE_NAME, "` ROW_FORMAT=DYNAMIC;") AS MySQLCMD FROM TABLES WHERE TABLE_SCHEMA = "nextcloud";

I got a series of commands that MariaDB was perfectly happy to process. I have been able to proceed through the process, seemingly with no problems, but I’m concerned that my MariaDB schema doesn’t match what the documentation says it should. Nowhere have I seen either “barracuda” or “antelope” in any listing.

Should I just not worry about it? Right now it’s been doing Change collation for oc_filecache for quite a while, but that doesn’t seem out of line to me.

Should I expect problems because of the schema discrepancy?

Welcome. Sorry for your mishap.

Just curious and did you follow all of the below?

NC 15 Docs » Database configuration NC 16 Docs » Database configuration

Please accept my apologies if my answer may not meet your expectations and please understand I cannot dig into your details due to time constraints of my own.
:innocent:

Hope this helps.
:smiley:

1 Like

Yep. That looks like it is exactly the document I was following, although it appears that I missed the separation between the MariaDB 10.3 and 10.2. I must have skipped right by it and was trying to get commands meant for 10.2 to work on my 10.3 installation, so it looks like I was worrying over nothing.

1 Like

Can happen to everyone.

Good to know you feel safe. :+1:

BTW a little ack to my comment i.e. click on the heart icon :heart: would show you are satisfied and would motivate me to help others in this forum…
:smiley: