Manually edit config

I’m setting up an instance and I’d rather edit the config file by hand, how would I go about doing that?

Hi @RiversideRocks

Do you mean create the file by hand or edit the file after you installed nextcloud?

Creating the file completely manually is not possible afaik. The config.php file has to be created either via Installation Wizard or via Command Line Installation. But when the installation is complete, it can of course be edited manually with any text editor.

1 Like

Do you know how to do so in a Docker instance on a Synology Diskstation NAS?
There is a config.php file in my config folder in my nextcloud folder. However, if I download it, add a trusted domain, and reupload it, suddenly it becomes impossible to login to my Nextcloud instance, with an error message about how config has become read only or something (don’t really want to break my install again to find the exact wording).

The MySQL credentials keep being rejected. I tried them with the MySQL CLI tool and the work fine, any idea what went wrong?

I never had problems with the database credentials unless they were actually incorrect. :wink: But it’s hard to say with so little information…

On which OS, with which MySQL version are you trying to install Nextcloud? Is the php-mysql module installed? Are the configuration files for the database configured correctly?

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/configuration_database/linux_database_configuration.html

Is DB-user name correct and did you grant permissions on the nextcloud database for the nextcloud DB-user, when you created the database…?

CREATE USER 'username'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS nextcloud CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci;
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES on nextcloud.* to 'username'@'localhost';
FLUSH privileges;
1 Like

@HellsBells

Sorry I have no experience either with Docker nor with the Synology Diskstation. Maybe you should open a seperate topic for your question.

hoping someone responds to it.