Mac desktop client continuously writing to disk even when no syncing is happening

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 20.0.4
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): MacOS Big Sur
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Not sure, it’s a hosted Nextcloud service (Hetzner)
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4.13

The issue you are facing:

Hi,

The Mac desktop client is writing to disk all the time even though no syncing is currently happening. I rebooted a few minutes ago and it has written already 3.42GB. It seems the app that writes to disk the most as observed over the past few days.

I have seen an old thread which seems related. Is this happening to others with current versions of the desktop client? Given that no syncing is happening I would expect the client to write almost nothing to disk most of the time.

Thanks

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N):

This is the first time I have noticed it.

Steps to replicate it:

1. Install desktop client on Big Sur (I have the latest version installed a few days ago)

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:
(empty)

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):
(I don’t have access to it)

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:
(I don’t have access to it)

Nextcloud client has written a whopping 220GB in 26 hours. This can’t be normal, just a few files have changed/been synced in the meantime. What is the client doing that explains so much writing to disk?

Has nobody else seen this?