Login-free public mode for polls

Yeah right. But it is still a survey and not a poll tool. And informations are missing:

• no insight into the results for a participant
  • no possibility to adjust the votes
  • no deadline
  • no information, who gave which answer
  • no limitation of votes

Don’t get me wrong. You said Forms is a better solution as Polls. And I still don’t get the point, because there are different use cases for these tools.

What I want is learning from the user’s perspective, how we can improve Polls.

I really like the improvement Form takes, not at last because it was forked from polls.

Last but not least; Forms or Polls or merging them:

Hi @devnull ,

I usually agree with your posts in the forum but I am surprised that this time this is not the case. So I am really surprised today.

I am against this statement. Forms is different than Polls.

I aggree you can do it without user interaction in Anonymous Poll with ids. Being Anonymiously is up to the user taking a username which is like “123” . I think it is ok as it is now.

And that is one of the most important things. There tons of user who cannot remember which days they entered the minuit the close the app. And then check if they are free for another event (or not).

Changing there mind afterwoods is necessary too. Until the time closes everything is allowed. That is cooperation or collaboration. People talk (write) and things change.

I do find that helpful in collaboration like posting “yeah so many have voted for the first possible date maybe the others can get themselves a push and make it possible too” Changing their decicions is a way of quick collaboration.

That is a very special case. (Wiki: An election is a formal group decision-making process by which a population chooses an individual or multiple individuals to hold public office.)

Usually this is not what Polls or Forms is used for (if ever). Please correct me if there was a use case.

Polls try to feel like doodle and for the users that is very important. It is used by people who tend to know each other and want to do things together. Forms is (feels like) a questionnaire like the privacy concerned users rarly want to fill out.

@dartcafe You came a long way making Polls App as it is now and after years I say it is really good. True there can be things which could be better like the feedback you got from @RailsViceRoads but you listen to feedback, try and improve and that makes it always better. :+1:

EDIT:

Interessting and could be made very powerful.

@florom @dartcafe

Sorry. Perhaps I expressed myself a little incorrectly and perhaps too aggressively. There is perhaps already a difference between a form and a poll. Maybe Forms and Polls have their justification. But it is for me that I can solve problems from Polls only in Forms.

And for me the biggest problem is the usability of polls for anonymous requests. Please have a look at https://www.strawpoll.me. It would be nonsense to require a pseudo user ID for this anonymous poll. Either you should reprogram this in Polls or you just use Forms like I do. For the user, the necessity of username input (e.g. test123) in Polls is simply not comprehensible in an anonymous poll.

Hi @devnull ,

I have trouble to understand that.
Do you mean:
1, Everyone on the internet with a public link to the nextcloud polls app should be able to make new polls (like Cospend “allow the entire world to use Cospend without having an account on your Nextcloud instance.”)?
2, There is no window where you choose a username/Login. You just vote and when you close it is gone forever. If you visit the site again you can vote again and when you close it is gone forever again.

And if it is like this would you use Polls or are there other issues too?

Hi @florom
1.) No. The poll is created from a Nextcloud account. Only the use of the poll is anoynmous because of a public link. It is not about allowing anonymous people to create polls.

2.) Yes. You can test it at https://www.strawpoll.me . There is the possibility of cookies or IP blocking against multiple voting. Both can be easily bypassed. But this is already possible today with Nextcloud Polls even with the entry of pseudo-usernames.

If this issue would be solved i would use it. But I think it’s bad today that your anonymous poll require you to enter any kind of name at all.

It is this window i do not want on anonymous polls (sorry german).
It would be cool to have an option to deactivate it and use e.g. random numbers.
I think a lot of people would misunderstand the anonymous poll vs. username to enter.

https://i.imgur.com/4y4FZdM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hRnGMh5.jpg

Hi @devnull ,

ok I understand that.
@dartcafe Probably this is not that komplex to implement?

In app Forms

Hi @devnull

I see. I would never have time to Create Checkboxes and manually enter the date. It would be far to complicated (at least for me) to remember the weekdays etc. .

This was one of the most important improvments in the Polls App. Easy and quick adding dates.

My users would not accept a date without weekday in the date. They would start nagging which weekday this is and that they always need another calender to recheck.

EDIT:

2 Dates in Polls:

Yes. I agree.

Ok. It is only a text. You can add the weekday.

https://i.imgur.com/vqe094C.jpg

This are written words, I know to handle them, so don’t care. But the issue is, that you just stated “something else is better” and something about “outstanding issues”. And now you have the problem, that I came along and want to get into this, so I have a chance to understand the issues which are seen.

And statements like “no one needs” or “nonsense” do also not help because they just reflect your point of view, but not necessarily the view of other users.

But I see that we get a little bit more into details, about what your critics are about.

If I understand right you say: As a poll owner, I want to create an anonymous poll, where users are just be able to answer one or more of the offered vote options without the need to leave any information about the voter and without the possibility to change their vote afterwards.

Did I get this right?

Maybe, it is not worth to develop that, because you have a solution with using forms for this particulate use case. On the other hand a user may not be happy to use different apps for similair tasks.

A still interesting question is, if merging polls and forms to have all functions in one app. But I fear, we already fell behind the point, where this could be achieved. But who knows.

Some more words to the rest of the conversation here

Not a first sight, but there are more questions left to answer, which cause more tasks to develop (maybe bit by bit):

• How should the result been displayed? Detailed, as now or just aggregated?
  • Result display wanted without voting?
  • Should the poll be locked to avoid changes after the first vote?

I am thinking about allowing that. This way polls could be offered to people outside of the nextcloud instance.

Elections

Elections is not a supported use case, although Gaia-X used it in different live board elections (something about 200 participants and more than 60 candidates for each election). But I am trying to create a concept to allow elections with invitations an the possibility to certificate them via polls (or a branch of it).

1 Like

Just a comment to the cookie solution.

In my special use case some family members will act as different participants in one poll. Some of these uses the same computer with only a single user account (for example Windows Home Edition).

I suspect for this usage the cookie solution could not work as expected.

1 Like

Not as long, as they use the same browser, browser profile and container.

AFAIK, Windows Home supports multiple user accounts.

I found the personal token cookie in the actual release. Thank you very much for implementing this feature. :star_struck:

1 Like