Linux distribution packages for the desktop clients - help out!

Before you submit it, perhaps provide it somewhere that some people can test it in different environments. Especially if you have doubts about the whole procedure.

Thereā€™s also this dude - https://morph027.gitlab.io/post/nextcloud-install-via-packages-on-jessie/ perhaps he is interested in helping out.

Iā€™ve had a time getting it to install on Debian 8. I followed the instructions here: Compile instructions from Reddit and got an error with the ā€œcmakeā€¦ā€ part of the steps. I ignored that and proceeded to make and make install. I think thatā€™s basically the same procedure as on the Github instructions. Somewhere between make install and starting it from command line I got an error about libnextcloudsync.so.0, but then I found this lucky tip which fixed that issue. Error while loading shared libraries
So, all that being done I got it to run from the command line! It ran and syncedā€¦and then I wanted to close the terminal I had opened so I didā€¦and of course nextcloud quit with the terminal window.
So now Iā€™m trying to set it to run at startup or something andā€¦sheesh, Iā€™m tired!
I love Nextcloud; I mean this is a seriously great endeavour. But compiling this beast on Debian 8 (lxde desktop) for a noob like myself is a daunting proposition!
Keep up the good work, and the better documentation!

https://www.c-rieger.de/how-to-install-nextcloud-desktop-client-for-ubuntu/

This tutorial works perfectly, itā€™s not so hard to do :wink: Of course, a little sudo apt install nextcloud-client will be awesome :wink:

Iā€™m using docker to build things and keep my system clean. Instructions and CI for xenial is here: https://gitlab.com/packaging/nextcloud-client/

Resulting repo: http://repo.morph027.de/nextcloud-client.php

Please note, that the PPA mentioned below is no longer maintained and will be removed soon.

It is replaced by the PPA named ppa:nextcloud-devs/client. You can start using this PPA by issuing the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nextcloud-devs/client
sudo apt-get update

You can remove the old PPA by:

sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:ivaradi/nextcloud-client-ppa

Hello,

I have created a PPA for the Nextcloud client. It currently contains the packages for Ubuntu Trusty, Xenial and Yakkety. Install as follows:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ivaradi/nextcloud-client-ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nextcloud-client

Please, let me know your results, and if it is useful or not.

14 Likes

Thanks very much for setting up this PPA! Iā€™ve just used it to install the Nextcloud client on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS without any problems.

1 Like

Amazing!

Could you share your methods of packaging the client and pushing to the PPA?

Linux Mint 18 Mate: Installation without problems, sync runs, default system icon in the menu, seems to be useful

Works great on Ubuntu 16.04!

works fine on my Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon, Thanks

Installed on 16.04, but I faced a crash on first login with a missing letter in the url of my Nextcloud instance, then all good, it is currently syncing.

Thanks a lot.

Works great! Thank you for this!

I basically take the Git repository containing the nextcloud theme (i.e. the one mentioned on the download page), add the debian directory with the necessary files and create a source package using ā€œdebuild -Sā€. I use the CDBS support for cmake, so the building is really simple: I only have to set a few variables in the ā€œdebian/rulesā€ file.

I then upload the source package to the PPA using ā€œdputā€ and it then gets built into the binary packages.

I have some scripts to automate most of the building (and to test the building locally) on my machine. If interested, I can share them along with the files in the ā€œdebianā€ directory. However, if you download the source (apt-get source nextcloud-client), you can get the ā€œdebianā€ files.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: How to migrate your owncloud desktop client to Nextcloud

Confirmed working on Deepin 15.3 as well (Debian unstable). Though you have to change the zesty distro to trusty.

@ivaradi If you ask me this PPA should transform to Nextcloud where you become the maintainer. What does others think? Maybe create a new repo called ā€œclient_ppaā€ and add it there? https://github.com/nextcloud/client_theming

1 Like

I would prefer to have it move to Debian/Ubuntu instead, the distroā€™s should maintain this, not our community. Distroā€™s have their review process, they are the experts etcā€¦ But I wouldnā€™t want to block if you foik think it should be in our repo ofc.

@jospoortvliet With all due respect, but then weā€™d loose control over it. We have to make sure things are working and are maintained.

Wasnā€™t this an issue with OC? As long as thereā€™s skill on board NC, I donā€™t see a reason not to maintain it inhouse.

Awesome, seems to be syncing fine for me. Ubuntu 16.04. This is definitely useful.

I have no experience with maintaining packages but moving this to the distros must make it more difficult to update (at least delayed)? I think the ideal state would be the client being a snap for easy rollback to a working version if things go wrong in a future update as well as more universal usability? If my understanding is correct the project would maintain near full control? This might remove the demand for a rpm version as well? Again, Iā€™m a complete novice, a PPA works well for me currently. Thanks!