Linux Desktop Client One Way Sync

Greetings,

I would like to use Nextcloud desktop client to backup mobile notebook computer. Ideally, I would like to transfer files in one direction from the client to the server. Is this possible? I prefer the Nextcloud client as it will transfer data whenever there is an Internet connection without user intervention and without any additional scripting.

Thanks

I understand what are you asking is the only function the NC client does, syncs to the server the folders you have included.

You can use any client that supports WebDAV for such scenarios, for example mounting with wdfs and then using normal Unix tools.

Thank you for your replies. I will try to explain better what I’m trying to do. We are sending out notebooks to users across the country. We want to be able to backup their data. Nextcloud is ideal for this. We want the process automated as much as possible. It would be great to daemonize the client if possible. I’m happy to use the command line. For WebDAV and normal Unix tools, I would have to create scripts to mount, deal with lost mounts, and run script a sync via cron without necessarily knowing the results. By contrast, the Nextcloud client its in the background and quietly transfers data when a network connection appears. If the connection is lost, it copies it again next time. The only issue I have is I don’t want to send files back to the client and I don’t want uploaded files lost if they disappear from the client. So what I want is to transfer new files on the client to the server. Does that make sense?

1 Like

I understood what you wanted in the first place, but this is not possible with the Nextcloud client.