Left click always downloads since upgrade from 28 to 29

Nextcloud version : 29.0.1
Operating system and version : Debian 12
Apache or nginx version : nginx 1.22.1
PHP version : 8.2.18

The issue you are facing:

Since upgrading to NC 29, I can no longer preview files in Files. Left clicking always downloads. In 28, left clicking would open text files, PDFs, audio files, etc. in the browser.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Yes

Steps to replicate it:

Unknown

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging: Interestingly, the logging page just shows a blank white area where the log should go.

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => 'REDACTED',
  'passwordsalt' => 'REDACTED',
  'secret' => 'REDACTED',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'REDACTED',
    1 => 'REDACTED',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/mnt/nextcloud-data/data',
  'dbtype' => 'pgsql',
  'version' => '29.0.1.1',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'REDACTED',
  'dbname' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost:5432',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'dbuser' => 'REDACTED',
  'dbpassword' => 'REDACTED',
  'installed' => true,
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_smtpsecure' => 'ssl',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_from_address' => 'REDACTED',
  'mail_domain' => 'REDACTED',
  'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'LOGIN',
  'mail_smtpauth' => 1,
  'mail_smtphost' => 'REDACTED',
  'mail_smtpport' => '465',
  'mail_smtpname' => 'REDACTED',
  'mail_smtppassword' => 'REDACTED',
  'maintenance' => false,
  'theme' => '',
  'loglevel' => 2,
);

Do you still have installed the corresponding apps? Text, PDF viewer?

Yes. Installed and enabled.

Then check your logfiles, try to disable and enable the apps, perhaps it then links the files to the app.

I didn’t see anything relevant in the log file, but I did notice there are some changes to the recommended nginx config, so I updated those and a couple of things have changed. The online log view works, and I can preview files, but it still doesn’t preview PDF, markdown, audio, or images by default. I have to right click and select “View”. Is there not a setting somewhere I’m missing?

Actually, I just noticed something really weird: I have a txt file in the root of my files, and it does actually view by default, but in subdirectories it downloads by default.

I have the same issue, all my JPG and MP4 files download instead of opening in the browser like they did before the upgrade. I disabled photo app and PDF app restated and re-enabled them restarted again and it’s still doing it. Works properly on my iPhone app.

If you changed a lot of things, did you try to empty your browser cache (or try in private mode/different browser). By default, they keep ‘static’ content for quite a while.

Yep, that did it. Weird that that would be cached. Thanks for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.