Jscript overlay will not accept auth when changing settings

• Brand new utterly blank install (attempts to migrate from owncloud failed): new db, new data dir, new config.php. No new files, add-ons, anything.
  • Admin account created.
  • Successfully logged in as new admin user.
  • Attempts to change cron from “ajax” to “local cron” generates a jscript overlay asking for new password. Password is not accepted.
  • Logged out.
  • Used occ to reset to new password.
  • Logged back in successfully (so YES I’m typing the password correctly)
  • jscript overlay continues to deny correct auth

the only message in the nextcloud.log:

{“reqId”:“n0Uh4/+se9I5pgGEQcFf”,“remoteAddr”:"–.—.---.—",“app”:“core”,“message”:“Login failed: ‘admin’ (Remote IP: ‘–.—.---.—’)”,“level”:2,“time”:“2017-05-26T18:27:01+00:00”,“method”:“POST”,“url”:"/index.php/login/confirm",“user”:“admin”,“version”:“11.0.3.2”}

I have additionally tried Firefox 53 from Win10 and FreeBSD workstations with the same result; so it probably isn’t a jscript issue. Also the problem persists thruout the administration pages and authentication seems to fail for any changes.

Still no joy. But here’s what I did:

• deleted nextcloud data dir
  • deleted nextcloud dir
  • deleted nextcloud db
  • upgraded mariadb server/client 10.1.21 --> 10.1.23
  • upgraded php 5.6.26 --> 5.6.30
  • installed nextcloud 12.0.0
  • allowed installation to proceed including creation of admin user
  • confirmed “all checks passed” in security configuration checks

Any changes requiring callback to /index.php/login/confirm continue to fail.

I have xdebug installed and I will step thru the code to try and suss this; but I need help identifying which files are involved. Something in lib/private?

Alternatively, is there any way to disable the use of "confirm/login?"
Or is it possible to remove overlays?
How about changing these settings on the command line. Does occ touch these? Or maybe I can just write stuff directly into the SQL?