Issues with NC25.0.0.18 updater

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 25.0.0.18
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): nethserver 7.9.2009
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): 2.4.6
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.0.23

The issue you are facing:
Downgrading is not supported and is likely to cause unpredictable issues (from 25.0.0.18 to 24.0.7.1)

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Upgraded to 25.0.0.18
  2. Haven’t touched upgrade since the upgrade
  3. Auto updater is on

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

Cant access anything, OCC not working just throwing the Downgrading is not supported and is likely to cause unpredictable issues (from 25.0.0.18 to 24.0.7.1) 

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => 'REDACTED',
  'passwordsalt' => 'REDACTED',
  'secret' => 'REDACTED',
  'datadirectory' => '/mydata/DATA/',
  'dbtype' => 'sqlite3',
  'version' => '25.0.0.18',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://myip/nextcloud',
  'installed' => true,
  'updater.release.channel' => 'stable',
  'maintenance' => false,
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\APCu',
  'logfile' => '/var/lib/nethserver/nextcloud/nextcloud.log',
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_smtpsecure' => '',
  'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'LOGIN',
  'mail_from_address' => 'no-reply',
  'mail_domain' => 'homenet.dom',
  'mail_smtphost' => 'localhost',
  'mail_smtpport' => '25',
  'loglevel' => 2,
  'theme' => '',
  'app_install_overwrite' => 
  array (
    0 => 'dicomviewer',
  ),
  'dbhost' => 'localhost:/run/rh-mariadb105-mariadb/nextcloud-mysql.sock',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'updatechecker' => false,
  'check_for_working_wellknown_setup' => false,
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => 'localhost',
    1 => 'mydomain',
    2 => 'my ip',
  ),
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

PASTE HERE

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

{"reqId":"Y2kXYgT7LDlsrA7A7fwlrQAAAEc","level":4,"time":"2022-11-07T14:34:10+00:00","remoteAddr":"myIP","user":"PK1","app":"webdav","method":"PROPFIND","url":"/nextcloud/remote.php/dav/files/PK1/","message":"OCP\\HintException: Downgrading is not supported and is likely to cause unpredictable issues (from 25.0.0.18 to 24.0.7.1)","userAgent":"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows) mirall/3.4.0stable-Win64 (build 20211129) (Nextcloud, windows-10.0.19044 ClientArchitecture: x86_64 OsArchitecture: x86_64)","version":"25.0.0.18","exception":{"Exception":"Sabre\\DAV\\Exception\\ServiceUnavailable","Message":"OCP\\HintException: Downgrading is not supported and is likely to cause unpredictable issues (from 25.0.0.18 to 24.0.7.1)","Code":0,"Trace":[{"file":"/usr/share/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/WildcardEmitterTrait.php","line":89,"function":"{closure}","args":["*** sensitive parameters replaced ***"]},{"file":"/usr/share/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":456,"function":"emit","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/usr/share/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":253,"function":"invokeMethod","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/usr/share/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php","line":321,"function":"start","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/usr/share/nextcloud/remote.php","line":76,"function":"exec","class":"Sabre\\DAV\\Server","type":"->"},{"file":"/usr/share/nextcloud/remote.php","line":172,"function":"handleException"}],"File":"/usr/share/nextcloud/remote.php","Line":74,"CustomMessage":"--"}}

No one has an even a hint at an answer?

Nextcloud updater is the most borked implementation ever. Didn’t have a single upgrade go smooth. If we want to be secure you need to do better to ensure upgrades are seemless

Cant anyone answer a simple query ? Why am I seeing this when : Downgrading is not supported and is likely to cause unpredictable issues (from 25.0.0.18 to 24.0.7.1)

This happened overnight and now Nextcloud is completely broken

Nethserver seems to install and upgrade Nextcloud via the package manager of the underlying OS, and they also seem to be doing some other customizations, such as the user management. So you should probably post your issue in the Nethserver forum first, before coming here and blaming Nextcloud: Categories - NethServer Community

Nevertheless, I did a quick Google search for you, because you asked so nicely, :stuck_out_tongue: and I found two things in their FAQ, which might have caused your issue:

1. You were using the Nextcloud’s buil-in updater, which you shouldn’t do according to their documentation:
    https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=howto:nextcloud#nextcloud_stuck_at_update_in_process_after_using_the_built-in_updater

2. You did upgrade via the package manager, but maybe you skipped a version for some reason:
    https://wiki.nethserver.org/doku.php?id=howto:nextcloud#exceptionupdates_between_multiple_major_versions_are_unsupported

2 Likes

thank you…sooooo…much (yea its sarcasm)! only took me resorting to replying in other threads to get any kind of traction. if a product is built by Nextcloud i expect the answers to lay with Nextcloud. If you are marketing a product to run or allow a product to run on other platforms I expect it to run on other platforms. If it cannot dont say it can…especially if the UPDATER has been borked since day one. AND FYI my original post was done as per the “RULES” and i got ZERO response even to let me know I should ask nethserver or to say you dont do support for NETHSERVER. that being said you really think i haven’t checked NETHSERVER first? i search for the exact error i’m being shown and there is NOTHING anywhere on the specific issue where OCC is not working at ALL.

I have tried to steer you in the right direction, I can not and will not solve the problem for you, but would like to give you a few things on your way…

1. you are not eligible for any support, neither if you download Nextcloud directly from Nextcloud.com, nor if you are using third party packages like e.g. from Nethserver.

2. if you are using third party packages, the first place to look for help is the provider of these packages.

3. the COMMUNITY is not a one-way street and nobody in the COMMUNITY owes you anything. But you can ask nicely if someone would like to help you.

4. the COMMUNITY are all volunteers and not all of them are IT-professionals either. Aso we are doing this in our free time. We are trying to help as good as we can, but there are no guarantees.

5. If you need a higher level of support, you can pay for it:
    https://my.nethserver.com/login
    Pricing - Nextcloud

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that you broke your nonstandard 3rd-party implementation I’ve never heard of, but being petulent and crashing other people’s threads will not get you anything from me.

4 Likes

Are you talking to yourself…?

Like this…

or this:

Well that would have been the appropriate answer before you hijacked the other thread. But I still answerd you, and I even googled and picked out a few things that could possibly have to do with your issue or that maybe even could help you solve it.

again, talking to yourself, probably.

3 Likes

Dear pk198105 ,we consider your tone of voice in violation with our code of conduct. Please bear in mind you are supported by volunteers in their free time. You have to realise we are humans, we are helping out here out of love, and that your post have an emotional impact on us. Please in future posts mind your tone and be respectful.

2 Likes