Is there a way to speed up WebDAV in NextCloud?

Im using NextCloud since 2 months and what i can tell is, that i like it very much. But what really disappoints me, is the incredible slow WebDAV Speed. The Setup is the following: Im using NextCloud on a Raspberry Pi2 with Nginx 1.9.5 and PHP 7.0.14. http2 is enabled, chaching via APCu to. Additionally, i have setup pure Nginx WebDAV so, that it uses the same folder to Upload the files. If i now upload a 300kb File via pure Nginx WebDAV, it takes normally 4-6 Seconds for the Upload to complete. If the same file exists before, it takes 1 Second longer.

If i use WebDAV via Nextcloud the same file uploads in between 25-45 Seconds and a little bit longer, if the file exists before. But also with the time of 25 Seconds it is a very long time for such a small file. Why is there such a huge difference between NextCloud and Nginx WebDAV? What can i do, to speed it up, so that it comes closer to the speed of Nginx WebDAV? Currently i have disabled Apps like “Auditing / Logging”, “Comments”, “Deleted files”, “External storage support”, “File access control”, “Files automated tagging” and “Versions” in the hope to get more speed. The Result are the times i have stated above.

3 Likes

i cant believe that the reason for such slow speed is the Pi, since pure Nginx does indeed work great. There must be something i can do.

The raspberry is certainly not the fastest piece of hardware, and the upload limit of 2 GB per file can be an important drawback for some users. However you can do some tuning of the server parameters and faster upload time should be possible (at least for RPi2 and higher). I answered to one of your other posts: Using NextCloud Authentication for Pages to?

Any news on this guys? Is there a „solution“? While Nextcloud apps are quite fast, PhotoSync to Nextcloud using WebDAV takes like forever, it‘s very painful. So I was hoping to get some input here but it seems like it’s just another dead topic (one without a „solution“ or final feedback from the TE). :frowning:

Not really and it’s hard to answer in general. Many small files have bad performance because it creates a certain load on the database. Large files should be better and you normally get up to perhaps 50 % of the max. bandwidth, but you generally stay below native ftp or sftp connections. Just as a rough orientation. If it is very slow, then caching can probably help to reduce the load on the system. Just to give you a rough estimation what could be possible.

It‘s really crazy: currently the sync is extremely fast. So it differs from time to time. As I put every possible and efficient performance optimization in place for the system I think I simply need to live with it.