Is there a "Nextcloudpi on Odroid HC2 with SSD/HDD" install guide?

Hi,
first of all huge thanks to @nachoparker for the whole nextcloudPI project. You enabled me to run my first secure “cloud” in my own home with very affordable Hardware and a very easy installation process.
I loved the NCP on my RPi3b, it worked great with simple Calendar and Notes jobs.
However, i used old and “questionable” Hardware for the Project and now its time for an upgrade.

I bought an Odroid HC2 and i am planning on using it with a SSD to host my new Nextcloudpi instance. First setup tests were okay and after a lot of googling and reading forums even SSH wasnt that hard to set up (after all, hindsight is 20/20).
I found that, while the Nextcloudpi project itself is awesome, the documentation - for me at least - is somewhat lacking. For the life of me i can not figure out, how to properly setup a harddrive as the main drive for the NCP. Yes there are USB Database settings in the web panel, but nothing for a Harddrive. I am just beginning with the whole Linux system and while i like it, i still seriously lack skills therein. So terminal usage feels quite sketchy, especially since there is no “real” documentation for NCP.

I am aware of Docker, or a “normal” Nextcloud installation on a Linux system, however the Nextcloudpi on a Raspberry was a very wholesome experience for me and, especially as an beginner, very doable with the documentation. So i would like to stick with it, albeit with better Hardware.

so, TLDR:

• Great work nachoparker, many thanks
  • NCP on Odroid HC2 very doable
  • Harddrive setup not so much, need help!

Just follow the wizard, or do nc-datadir.

Please help improve the documentation if you find anything confusing. The wiki is public and written only by users like you.

Cheers

Thanks for the quick reply,

so just to clarify:

• the wizard (or nc-datadir) makes no difference to using an USB-Drive or a SATA conneced Harddrive?
  • will nc-format-USB also work to prepare the drive connected via SATA for NCP?

Will try my options once im Home, if it works out i’ll try adding to the wiki.

EDIT: “problem” solved. Apparently it was that easy

NCP wizard does not care if its an USB, or SSD.
I wondered more than i should have about “Why are there USB settings, but no HDD” - which makes sense from the raspberrys point of view.

Thanks again!
Topic can be closed

1 Like

Yes, I was confused by that as well when running the wizard for the HDD attached via SATA to my Odroid HC-2. Since the SATA-Bridge is connected to the CPU via internal USB this may be technically correct but is very confusing for young players. Perhaps a better word could be used instead of “USB” or at least add in brackets “(or SATA drive)”.