Is NextCloudPi just a preinstalled image?

I have been dabbling with setting up a homelab on a Raspberry Pi. I’m a total noob but managed to get things like vaultwarden, a printerverser en a proxymanager working. Nextcloud however confuses me.
As I bought an external ssd drive I wanted to reinstall everything anyway, so I am looking at NextcloudPi to use as the OS. But I have some questions I cannot find the answers to:

1. Is this just Raspberry Pi OS with Nextcloud (and other things) preinstalled?
  2. Is it 32 or 64 bit?
  3. Can I still install other apps (like Vaultwarden) using docker/portainer?
  4. Are updates (to NextCloudPi) done with apt (or do I need to manually download them)?

Sorry if any of this is obvious, but I am still learning.

Yes, plus is extensively tested over years by volunteers to include all kinds of additional scripts and things to keep your system humming along without you needing to interfere.

Both are available. Search the forum for pre ious discussion on 32bit support, which continues for now. Nextcloud decided to continue support for the time being.

No, in that case use Nextcloud AIO as it is expressly built for Docker.

Big feature of ncp is auto-updates across the board, but the cost is you keep your hands off and never mess with the underlying system. It is built for non-technical admins who want handholding while selfhosting on top of Debian with sane defaults and fewer surprises.

Sounds like you will enjoy AIO docker image from Nextcloud. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for your answers. I guess AIO it is… Thing is, its installation instructions are confusing to me. I get the gist of it, but there is so much technical talk and linking going on I get lost. I tried installing it 4 times now and I always get stumped at the point where I try to make it work with nginx proxy manager. I have a domainname, so I use that to get a certificate, but I don’t want nextcloud to be accessible from outside my home and “sync” only over lan. I’m sure the problem is my limited understanding of how npm works. I was hoping NextCloudPi would solve this problem for me. Oh well, a good nights sleep and I’ll try again. Again thanks.

Understandable, because this is the nature of managing multiple docker containers. There is a steep learning curve, which is unavoidable in sysadmin, but it also rocks to cherry pick and end up with a setup you’ll eventually understand. :heart:

I recommend learning about docker networks and writing your own compose files instead of run scripts you’ll promptly forget about. You can also use this composerize site to convert any run commands into compose scripts (which can help you transition). This is all outside the scope of this support forum, but it will prove extremely helpful.