I have no support/technical question and have seen the support category. (Be aware that direct support questions will be deleted.)
on
Which general topic do you have
Is Nextcloud 34 already recommended for production AIO instances?
I’m still running Nextcloud 33 on my production AIO instances.
With major releases, I usually prefer to wait until the new version has had enough time to mature within AIO rather than upgrading immediately after the upstream stable release.
Now that Nextcloud 34 has been available for some time and the next major release is getting closer, I’m wondering what the current recommendation is for AIO users.
Would you already consider NC34 mature enough for a production upgrade from NC33, or is it still reasonable to stay on NC33 for now?
@vawaver, looks like production AIO NC34 will need some patience yet → my corporate prod is still on NC33 too and the warning displayed for optional upgrade is disconcerting…
if you’d like to give NC34 a run for its money though, you can install Nextcloud snap in parallel on the same host, make sure you change the port or spin up an Ubuntu vm and take the snap for a spin you’ll be up and running in minutes and you’ll have a full blown default upstream Nextcloud to play around with…
So you can see what they are waiting for (34.0.3 release). For other users it depends as well on a number of apps if they are available or if you have to wait for a few bugs to be fixed.
If you want to have heads up about the new version, I’d rather use the AIO beta channel and get your test system close to the production one, so you test everything how your production setup will use it later as well.
afaik AIO prefers stability over new features. Which is a good thing, imho.
So if the maintainers think it’s better to wait for .3-release rather than .2 I’m ready to wait until they clear that.
PLUS: wasn’t it planned to autoupdate to PHP4.x in the background as well? could make it a bit harder to update & test as well.
but yes… waiting for as much point-releases within that pretty thight release-cycle can mean that you would update to a new major version just at the moment when a even newer major-release would get released. C’est la vie.
This is a helpful topic! I did not realize the AIO maintainers prioritize stability over new features. That’s a Good Thing, in my book, and good to know. It’s also very helpful to be reminded to keep an eye on the AIO issue tracker on github. Thank you for that!
I came here because of this! I am being nagged constantly in nextcloud to update and have been for several weeks now, while AIO is not offering an update. I’m on 34.0.1. The information provided is inconsistent and confusing, and makes me feel like I should do a manual update when in fact everything is fine and I just need to wait for AIO.
There is in fact an issue about this too - it will be fixed when we are given the option to update again.
I have no idea about AIO and maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying, but generally you should be on the latest point version of your version, right?
So if I was on 34.0.1, I would make sure to update to 34.0.3. But if I am still on 33, I would make sure to get up-to-date with the latest point version of that one, which is 33.0.8.
This is at least how semantic versioning is supposed to work - or maybe that’s not what Nextcloud server is using?
It’s a bit misleading, though, that the “update-nag” notification in Nextcloud does not distinguish between an optional major release (because your current version is still supported) and a recommended minor/point release (which I would always install as soon as possible for stability and security reasons).
Yes, I agree with you on the point releases. If I stay on NC33, I keep it updated to the latest 33.0.x release. My question wasn’t about staying on an older point release.
What I was trying to figure out is when it makes sense to move from the latest NC33 to NC34 specifically in AIO.
AIO is a bit different here because new major Nextcloud releases are not necessarily rolled out immediately. There is usually some testing and waiting for certain issues or apps to be sorted out first. That’s why the tracking link posted above was exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks @szaimen , I saw that the upgrade is already available in AIO (using Beta channel).
What I’m still not quite sure about is whether you would already consider it a good time to do the upgrade on a production instance.
I’m rather conservative with major upgrades and prefer stability over getting the new features as soon as possible. When I look at #8327, it is still open and there are still several items on the checklist, so I wasn’t sure how to interpret the current state.
Would you personally consider NC34 ready enough now for a conservative production AIO setup, or would you still wait a little longer?