Is it normal to be logging errors regularly?

Nextcloud version 11.0.2
Operating system Ubuntu 16.04 VM
Apache or nginx version Apache 2.4.25
PHP version 7.1.3

Is it normal to be logging errors regularly? I set up NextCloud yesterday. While browsing the admin ui, I noticed that NC is regularly logging errors during use. From my perspective as the user, I have not seen any errors - except that uploading nested folders through the web interface fails every time. The desktop client seems to work just fine.

My set up is NextCloud 11.0.2 running on Ubuntu 16.04 virtualized with 4gb ram and 2 2.4ghz cores. NextCloud data directory is on a FreeNAS share automounted over webdav / davfs2. FreeNAS is virtualized on the same machine with 8gb ram and 2 2.4ghz cores. I’ve confirmed that all permissions are properly set and the www-* user is the owner of the NextCloud data directory as well as all constituent directories and files.

Below is a selection of errors that I’ve seen in the past six hours. I’m also receiving occasional “No delete permission for path” messages, but I haven’t tried to delete anything yet.

I’m looking for guidance as to whether this is normal, or whether something might be wrong with my install or my setup? Thank you for taking the time to help me trouble shoot!

OCP\Files\NotPermittedException: No delete permission for path. 
Undefined variable: data at /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Wrapper.php#251
Missing argument 2 for OC\Files\Storage\Wrapper\Wrapper::file_put_contents(), called in /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/View.php on line 1124 and defined at /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Wrapper.php#250
Uncaught Error: Access to undeclared static property: OC\Files\Filesystem::$normalizedPathCache in /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Filesystem.php:806 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/View.php(2018): OC\Files\Filesystem::normalizePath('/user/files/Wor...') #1 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/View.php(1156): OC\Files\View->unlockFile('/Media/...', 1) #2 [internal function]: OC\Files\View->OC\Files\{closure}() #3 /var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/icewind/streams/src/CallbackWrapper.php(109): call_user_func(Object(Closure)) #4 [internal function]: Icewind\Streams\CallbackWrapper->stream_close() #5 {main} thrown at /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Filesystem.php#806
Missing argument 2 for OC\Files\Storage\Wrapper\Wrapper::file_put_contents(), called in /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/View.php on line 1124 and defined at /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Wrapper.php#250
Uncaught Error: Access to undeclared static property: OC\Files\Filesystem::$normalizedPathCache in /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Filesystem.php:806 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/View.php(2018): OC\Files\Filesystem::normalizePath('/user/files/Nex...') #1 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/View.php(1156): OC\Files\View->unlockFile('/Nextcloud.mp4', 1) #2 [internal function]: OC\Files\View->OC\Files\{closure}() #3 /var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/icewind/streams/src/CallbackWrapper.php(109): call_user_func(Object(Closure)) #4 [internal function]: Icewind\Streams\CallbackWrapper->stream_close() #5 {main} thrown at /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Filesystem.php#806
preg_match() expects parameter 2 to be string, array given at /var/www/nextcloud/apps/ojsxc/ajax/setAdminSettings.php#7
Uncaught Error: Access to undeclared static property: OC\Files\Filesystem::$normalizedPathCache in /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Filesystem.php:806 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/View.php(2018): OC\Files\Filesystem::normalizePath('/user/files/Wor...') #1 /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/View.php(1156): OC\Files\View->unlockFile('/Media/...', 1) #2 [internal function]: OC\Files\View->OC\Files\{closure}() #3 /var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/icewind/streams/src/CallbackWrapper.php(109): call_user_func(Object(Closure)) #4 [internal function]: Icewind\Streams\CallbackWrapper->stream_close() #5 {main} thrown at /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Filesystem.php#806

If there are just warnings, you can mute them with a proper log level. Real errors should not be ignored, they should be fixed.

In your webserver configuration, did you add this (from: https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/9/admin_manual/installation/source_installation.html#apache-web-server-configuration)?

<Directory /var/www/nextcloud/>
  Options +FollowSymlinks
  AllowOverride All

<IfModule mod_dav.c>
  Dav off
 </IfModule>

SetEnv HOME /var/www/nextcloud
 SetEnv HTTP_HOME /var/www/nextcloud

</Directory>

Perhaps these environment variables are not set properly. Except of that I have no idea what you could do. Someone else already reported a similar error:

If that doesn’t fix it, please report it to the bug tracker on Issues · nextcloud/server · GitHub

Hi tflidd,

Thank you for your help :wink:
But no, it’s not an Apache error because I have put in my test the Alias example configuration with exactly what you say !!

Regards.

Patrick