Is development for maps dead?

Looking at GitHub there are long lists of issues and uncompleted goals. The only activity is from the bot that keeps trying to update components with no human review.

Hello and welcome to the community support forum :wave:

While the nextcloud-bot updates translations every day, there are also recent commits from july and even a new version (v0.1.9):

grafik

Therefore i wouldnā€™t consider the maps app as ā€œdeadā€. As far as i know, it is a third party app though which is not developed directly by the Nextcloud GmbH but by volunteers. If you have a long term vision, i am sure that new contributors are highly welcome. Therefore i encourage you to get active yourself at the project or ask whatā€™s needed to get done to release the new features you are waiting for :slightly_smiling_face: Maybe a solution can be found this way or a freelancer can get hired to fix remaining issues (just throwing around ideasā€¦)

Nearly dead with bare minimum changes would be more apt. And Iā€™m not a developer so my contribution wouldnā€™t be useful.

I donā€™t have a vision for maps, I have it installed and just want it to work. Besides, there was already a ā€œvisionā€ for it, but that seems to have stalled a while ago.

Thereā€™s been some recent development, including the addition of collaborative maps in v0.2.5 !

Yes Iā€™ve tried v0.2.5 but still no contacts, photos, tracks show on the actual map which kind of defeats the purpose. Would be happy to collaborate because the concept is great and seems tantalisingly close. I did get to see contacts and photos on the map for a short while. However, I could only help as an ā€˜interested, reasonably knowledgeable userā€™. Also I canā€™t see how it is supposed to interact with the contacts oc_ tables. Perhaps it does not mesh with the newish edition of Nextcloud that I am on? Anyway keep trying whoever you are out there.

1 Like

The most recent version of Maps has solved my problems like magic. Thanks to all concerned. The only question i have now (Iā€™m never satisfied) is whether the photo scan can be restricted to, say, one folder? I really donā€™t want thousands of photos springing up on my map!