Ipv4 with no public address from ISP

Is there a workaround to ipv4 with no public address when seting up a dynDNS connection?

Sorry i do not understand your question. Normally you get.

a.) a dynamic IPv4 for using e.g. with dynDNS services
b.) you only get a IVv6 address e.g. with DSL Lite

Check https://www.showmyip.com

my ISP is giving me a private ipv4 only address, using NAT I believe. Because of that I cannot connect to my nextcloud server outside of my intranet.

Yes. Then you only can use IPv6 or you must create e.g. a tunnel. Perhaps you can ask your provider to get an IPv4 address.

I need to change my ISP asap then

1 Like

You can use any VPS and tunneling methods to access your server behind ISP WAN NAT. VPS will have it’s own Static Public IP (IPv4 and IPv6) Address

1. Create the free trial account with AWS (Amazon Web Service) or any cheap paid solution like digital ocean / linod / etc
  2. Install a Linux Server (Ubuntu / CentOS) in that VPS
  3. Install OpenVPN Server or WireGuard in that VPS
  4. Install OpenVPN or WireGuard Client in your NextCloud Server
  5. Connect your home nextcloud server to VPS using OpenVPN or WireGuard and create a tunnel
  6. Forward all outgoing traffic from client (home nextcloud server) to VPS
  7. Forward all traffic of port 80/443 incoming traffic of VPS to your client (home server) via that VPN tunnel
  8. Add the Public IP Address of that VPS in your NextCloud as trusted domain.

Optional → If you are using TLD, you can add a DNS A record to point that TLD to the VPS Public IP, you have to add that TLD as trusted domain too.

Now you can access your NextCloud Home Server via that Public IP Address of that VPS or your TLD from out side internet. In-fact if can be accessed from anywhere in the Internet.

This set-up doesn’t depend on your ISP configuration since its creating a tunnel between that VPS and your home server via a VPN connection. So no matter whatever or how many layers of NAT your server is having, as long as it has Internet, it will be able to server internet traffic.

Note 1 :- Make sure to run your VPN connection on any (free and usable) port apart from 80 and 443. (like 1194 or 51820)

Note 2 :- Choose a VPS closer to your place in same region as distant and slower VPS may result in a slower connection.

Note 3 :- VPN software will have it’s own encryption so there will be slight performance penalty in upload / download speeds. Usually its around 5%

Thanks.