Installing on Raspberry Pi - Is there a NextCloud image or do I install via command line?

Hello OwnCloud Forum,

Background information
I’ve been building up my skill with Raspberry Pi for the last 6 months and have become familiar with command line and feel ready to take on a new challenge.

I’ve decided I’d like to get NextCloud running on my Raspberry Pi but I have a quick and basic question that I have googled but haven’t found a definitive answer, so I have come to the forums looking for help and support.

My Question - TLDR

Is there an NextCloud Image for Raspberry Pi or is it installed via command line after installing Raspbian?

I’d really appreciate it if you could post some links to either the image that needs to be downloaded or a tutorial that shows me how to get things up and running.

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

If you already have some experience with Raspbian you can continue using it. Here are some more information about possible setups on a RPi: Which distro/image to choose to run Nextcloud on Raspberry Pi 3?

There are a few users who already followed this tutorial: Nextcloud on Raspberry Pi 3 with Ampache Music & Video streaming
You can just skip the part with music streaming if you don’t want it.

I actually like this tutorial. Not only does it tell you the steps, but it tells you exactly what you are doing with each command. If something doesn’t work out, you can always revert your last command line because you get a sense of what you are doing.

http://unixetc.co.uk/2016/11/20/simple-nextcloud-installation-on-raspberry-pi/

If you do decide to move the directory to make it safer, on raspbian at least. Vi (text editor) will not let you changethe permissions. Leafpad will.

So instead of command line :

sudo vi config.php

sudo leafpad config.php

Also, make sure to forward ports 443 and 80 to your raspberry pi, otherwise you cannot access it online. And what is a cloud without accessing it outside of network?

To forward ports first find your IP address here:
https://www.iplocation.net/find-ip-address

Then type it on your browser and that will take you to your Router portal, where you can forward ports. If you have trouble forwarding ports look up your router brand and type and forwarding ports on google - that’ll tell you how to do it specifically with your router. Otherwise comment below and we can try and help.

Hi thanks so much for your reply @tflidd,

I took a look at this tutorial and I think it may be what I am looking for.

Could you help clarify something for me please if possible?

In the write up of the tutorial that I have linked it says,

At this moment, the images do not provide a desktop environment,

Please can you explain to me what this means?

Will there be some kind of useful feature lacking if I choose to install this image of NextCloud?

Thanks again for all your help and for getting me started in exploring NextCloud :slight_smile:

Hello @erick_ledesma, thank you for posting a reply.

That looks like a nice clear tutorial.

Am I right in thinking to follow the tutorial I type everything in to the command line whilst I have Raspbian running as my main OS?

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Yes in the command line or using putty on a computer if you like to use a different computer. I did it right on raspbian in the command line.

On you Linux OS you can install a Desktop environment such as KDE or Gnome. Some people like graphical interfaces even if they only have to edit some text files in an editor. Such an environment is not needed for Nextcloud and requires a certain amount of resources which are quite limited on a raspberry. So I’d rather go without it.

I don’t think that there is a more GUI Operating System for Raspberry pi. I think the reason why is because the Pi is a RAM processor, while it can do many things, it is actually engineered a different way than a regular processor. So, there has to be specific development for this type of processor, we are just not there yet. Raspbian is the one system I have liked the best so far.