Installed Nextcloud 21(.0.1)... Now what?

Hello there everybody!

I am unsure if this has been asked before, my quick search didn’t show much that relates. But otherwise my apologies.

To keep it simple, I ran Nextcloud 20.0.8 before, and today it went for an update to 21.0.1, which is great, mainly given the great advertising on the speed improvements, I like extra speed!

But now the thing is, everywhere I went I read “PHP8, new MySQL needed!” and I am unsure how this exactly works? I am still on PHP 7.4 (or 7.2, not sure, whatever 20.0.8 worked on) and the older MySQL as far as I am concerned. I haven’t touched neither yet Nextcloud continues to function…

Soo, what do I do from here? Will upgrading to php8 get me any benefits here? Is there a guide on upgrading from an older to a newer version of php? I just wonder if any one has the answers I seek, because I am just a little confused.

As long as you’re using a supported PHP and database version everything should be fine
and you will most likely receive help/support in this forum if necessary. Furthermore using a state-of-the-art AND supported software version always reduces the risk to run a system with unpatched errors etc.
At the moment the recommended PHP version for Nextcloud v21 is PHP 7.4 and the recommended database version is e.g. MySQL 8.0+ or MariaDB 10.2+.

Aha, well I suppose that answers my question, everywhere I looked it mentioned “Will require PHP8 and drop support for PHP7.4” so I was confused as to why it was updating and working at all.

EDIT: Just checked, says “Support for PHP8 and dropped support for PHP7.2” so yeah, I suppose I must have completely misread some stuff down the line.