Installation wizard does not create new db user

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version: 27.0.0
Operating system and version: ubuntu 22.04 server ARM
Apache version: 2.4.52
PHP version: 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.13

The issue you are facing:
After installinig nextcloud by following instruction for ubuntu 22.04, the docs for installation wizard mention the following.

“After you enter your root or administrator login for your database, the installer creates a special database user with privileges limited to the Nextcloud database”.

But this does not happen and it just stores the same administrator user credentials given as input during installation wizard in config.php file.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error?: Y

Hmm, this is the first time I hear that this is supposed to work this way. :thinking: Maybe you found a bug, or even an error in the docs… Did you actually use the correct credentials of your MySQL/MaraiaDB root user?

Anyways, I always created the database manually and then entered the credentials for the newly created database in the wizzard. Maybe you want to try it that way too:

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/stable/admin_manual/installation/example_ubuntu.html#example-installation-on-ubuntu-22-04-lts

mysql -uroot -p
CREATE USER 'username'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS nextcloud CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci;
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON nextcloud.* TO 'username'@'localhost';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
1 Like

Okay, I just realised that on the web interface, I input the database user created by me by following instructions for ubuntu 22.04, which is not really an admin or root user of the database, but just a user with privileges on nextcloud. So, it did not create another user.

2 Likes