Installation trouble: PHP out of date warning?

Nextcloud version (eg, 10.0.2): 11.0.1
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 16.04): Antergos Linux
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache/2.4.25
PHP version (eg, 5.6): 7.1.1
Is this the first time you’ve seen this error and can you replicate it?
Yes
The issue you are facing:
With Apache, PHP and MariaDB all set up, I check http://localhost/nextcloud/
I get the following text, completely unformatted:

* @author Lukas Reschke * @author Morris Jobke * @author Robin Appelman * @author Thomas Müller * @author Vincent Petry * * @license AGPL-3.0 * * This code is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify * it under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License, version 3, * as published by the Free Software Foundation. * * This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, * but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of * MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the * GNU Affero General Public License for more details. * * You should have received a copy of the GNU Affero General Public License, version 3, * along with this program. If not, see * */ // Show warning if a PHP version below 5.6.0 is used, this has to happen here // because base.php will already use 5.6 syntax. if (version_compare(PHP_VERSION, '5.6.0') === -1) { echo 'This version of Nextcloud requires at least PHP 5.6.0
'; echo 'You are currently running ' . PHP_VERSION . '. Please update your PHP version.'; return; } try { require_once __DIR__ . '/lib/base.php'; OC::handleRequest(); } catch(\OC\ServiceUnavailableException $ex) { \OC::$server->getLogger()->logException($ex, array('app' => 'index')); //show the user a detailed error page OC_Response::setStatus(OC_Response::STATUS_SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE); OC_Template::printExceptionErrorPage($ex); } catch (\OC\HintException $ex) { OC_Response::setStatus(OC_Response::STATUS_SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE); OC_Template::printErrorPage($ex->getMessage(), $ex->getHint()); } catch (\OC\User\LoginException $ex) { OC_Response::setStatus(OC_Response::STATUS_FORBIDDEN); OC_Template::printErrorPage($ex->getMessage(), $ex->getMessage()); } catch (Exception $ex) { \OC::$server->getLogger()->logException($ex, array('app' => 'index')); //show the user a detailed error page OC_Response::setStatus(OC_Response::STATUS_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR); OC_Template::printExceptionErrorPage($ex); } catch (Error $ex) { \OC::$server->getLogger()->logException($ex, array('app' => 'index')); OC_Response::setStatus(OC_Response::STATUS_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR); OC_Template::printExceptionErrorPage($ex); } 

It looks like the PHP error has itself errored out. I’m not sure what to do as php -v confirms I’m running 7.1.1 and not something much older.

Any help?

You didn’t properly set up PHP for apache that’s why it’s serving plain text. Google will help you :wink:

2 Likes

Wow I’m dumb, of course I spend hours looking up the error when all I did was accidentally skip a section in the instructions.

It’s working just fine now, thank you!