Install Instructions for APCu No Longer Work?

Hi All:

Thanks to everyone at Nextcloud and the community for making and supporting this product. With your help I have my server working now, data has been moved via reinstallation, and I am now tweaking the install for home/work with 5 users. I use Linux Mint 18.2.

I have opcache configured per installation recommendations and was trying to follow the data cache installation instructions, that is:

sudo apt-get install php5-apcu/trusty-backports

per https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/12/admin_manual/configuration_server/caching_configuration.html

This is the result I got:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree        
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package php5-apcu

Since APCu was recommended by the Installation Instructions for my setup, I am stuck and don’t know what to do. Any help much appreciated.

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu 16.04, in which case the correct command to install APCu is simply sudo apt-get install php-apcu

The command you entered is meant for Ubuntu 14.04 or its derivatives; this is also stated on the page you linked.

1 Like

Thank you! That did the trick as far as installing the service.

As an open followup question:

Hopefully I got the

'memcache.local' => '\OC\Memcache\APCu',

put it in the right config.php file. I put it in /var/www/nextcloud/config/config.php file which I understand to be the one that controls Nextcloud server operations per https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/12/admin_manual/configuration_server/caching_configuration.html.

Yes, I should have been able to figure it out but please forgive my oversights as my head is swimming with so many options and details that are beyond my experience. I am sure more stumbling about will be forthcoming tomorrow. I do apologize for missing that one.

No need to be apologetic, we all misread things.

Your config entry looks fine. Keep in mind when making edits to ensure you don’t forget that trailing comma , as if you miss it things will misbehave.

Again you can look at my guide, based on 16.04, for step-by-steps.

1 Like

@Tom_Forge

darn… only 2hrs for a solution that works… for free even… how could this happen?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grin:

Don’t tease, his issues were valid for those particular topics, and I don’t want the essays being written up here as well as the other topic as they started to in my call for FAQs topic… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Again thanks all for the help. Sincerely. And I don’t mean to overwhelm folks with a wall of text, but if you think my wall of text is burdensome, then consider the amount of forums and documentation that must be interpreted and acted upon precisely by a noob like myself to get Nextcloud installed and tweeked out.

Consider my walls of text to be a reaction to the walls presented by others. :smiley:

1 Like

hey… sorry for my low-swing from above. i got carried away :frowning:

2 Likes