Insane conditions of Collabora company?

Hi

Not sure if it’s right place to speak about this (moderator: feel free to move in appropriate section if needed). I offer hosting services based only on opensource and at shared cost for my clients (no margin or just to pay development of services offered). As such I offer Nextcloud as alternative at Google services and I want to offer online editing so I took contact with Collabora. Is it me ? or that company is completely crazy ? you have to sign an NDA to discuss anything, and their commercial contract is completely abusive for multiple reasons !!
So I checked on the other solution that is OnlyOffice but they have nothing under 50 seats which is way too much for me to start !
Thoughts on this ? feedback of other commercial users of these companies ?

Thanks

Vincèn

What do you find abusive? An NDA is not uncommon to sign.

1 Like

Not the NDA by itself being abusive but multiple conditions in contract of sales you have to sign to sell their products !

This is a reseller agreement. I did not find their contract any more different than others. In fact i found it a lot more relaxed than some other contracts i have and have had.

And signing to get margins and marketing material is not uncommon. It is in fact more common than the opposite.

Really ? Fact that you have to communicate personal details of your customers at Collabora ?? that’s completely abusive and intrusive for me and definitively no way !

yep sorry for that :wink: will be more careful :wink:

If you offer a service. You can buy collabora on behalf of them and say that you have 100 licences on your own company. If you sell it directly to a customers own nextcloud instance collabora wants to know who the end customer is and get whos in charge. That isn’t that bad is it?

1 Like

vincen,

We’re in the same position with our hosting and webservices.
Per domain there are 1-10 users that mostly do not work at the same time, even not on a daily base. Because many do not understand the way the sync app can work, we offer Collabora for use.
Therefore I installed the free Collabora Docker package on a sepatate virtual Debian server at our own office location in our Synology NAS. I activated those domains. Multiple installs are also posible. This works fine, also over SSL. This service is free and we do not charge the users for this additional service. Nextcloud instances are in the servers of our datacenter.

Perhaps this option can help you.

If you sell it directly to a customers own nextcloud instance collabora wants to know who the end customer is and get whos in charge. That isn’t that bad is it?
– SmallOne

It’s really none of their business.

If you buy a magazine that book shop or supermarket doesn’t turn around and tell the publisher who you are. When exactly did this whole “you have to register everything everywhere” thing become OK?

1 Like