Increase the frequency in which Nextcloud Client scans the synchronized folders

Hi everyone,

I’m using Nextcloud server 20.0.5 and Nextcloud client 3.1.1. Since my synchronized folders are quite big, I’m getting the warning " Changes In Synchronized Folders Not Being Tracked Reliably".
I know that to avoid this I should increase the number of inotify watches (as described here), but since it’s already set to 524288, and I’m using the client on a laptop, I fear that increasing it even more could impact the battery life.

Therefore, I was wondering if it were possible to increase the frequency in which the client scans the folder from the default 2 hours to, for example, 30 minutes.

Thanks in advance.

Did you figure this out as I am getting the same error/warning?

Unfortunately, I didn’t. However, after a while, the warning disappeared and now it seems that the client is aware of files’ changes right after they’re made, so it seems to be fixed by itself (?).

What is strange to me is that I think that it doesn’t happen with every computer I have (need to test this but its tricky in covid times), running the same OS with same file systems and similar if not the same config.

I am using Kubuntu 20.04 LTS, XFS / BTRFS filesystems.

I get this error as well.

“The watcher did not receive a test notification.”

Could that be something wrong with the system?

Hi, maybe this can help you?
https://docs.nextcloud.com/desktop/3.2/advancedusage.html

Thanks! Looks helpful.

I had a infrequently used data set being sync’d that was lots and lots of small files. So I decided that as I don’t use it often and as it isn’t very big I could take that out of Nextcloud. This could also help perhaps as well.

That’s strange, I have not received that message. I’m using Manjaro 5.12.

I googled it and the only thing that comes up really is the error in the Nextcloud github. I guess I could try to use the source code to figure out what it actually means.

What about those values? Did you already try to change them?

1 Like

I thought I would wait to see if moving the data out did anything. If it doesn’t I will change those values as that would be an ok fix for now.

Moving out that data set of 800,000 small files seems to have solved the problem.

1 Like

Ok, so new development. I don’t think this was anything to do with Nextcloud in the end.

It randomly happened again so I downloaded a script (use at your own risk) that listed all the processes that were watching a lot of files. I discovered that the firmware updating tool for my blackmagic card was running 100s of sessions. Which seems to be the cause of the problem. So annoying.

1 Like