Impossible for me to update NC from 22.2.3 to 22.2.5

I’m trying to update my nextcloud, hosted at a local web hosting company, and the process stops systematically at the first stage, leaving me with just a weird message of which I have no clue what it means.

Nextcloud version: 22.2.3
Operating system and version : Linux 4.9.0-0.bpo.12-amd64 x86_64
Apache or nginx version: Apache 2.4.51
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4.27

I’ve tried updating my nextcloud 22.2.3 to nextcloud 22.3.5, using the updater directly from the web.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Open update system
  2. Start updating
  3. I receive the following message:
Check for expected files
The following extra files have been found:

.htzwrx22braqbd.data
    .hthinirt.appconfig.php

And nothing happens anymore after that. I have no idea what this message means and what I’m supposed to do. Are these files not supposed to be there? Or, what do I have to do with these?

I’m quite at a loss here! I don’t know if a similar issue has already been raised with other terms, because I have no idea how to define it. I searched the name of these files through the search engine on this forum and it came out with no results. So, I’m sorry if my question is redundent with another one.

I’m sorry I can’t address your error specifically, however I’ve had numerous problems using the web upgrade installer and phar upgrader. The last several upgrades I’ve resorted to doing a manual upgrade – which although not as convenient – really doesn’t take all that long. Possibly you could try the manual upgrade method. Just my 2 cents.

The error tells you that in the nextcloud folder are files that shouldn’t be there. If you delete the files you should be able to do the update. Best would be to check the data in the files to see, where they come from and why…

This wouldn’t have been a good idea as .htzwrx22braqbd.data is not a file, but a folder that was containing all my data for my Nextcloud. So, for the moment, I decided not to delete anything. It also turns out that my hosting provider also offers an updater. So, I’m going to try it out.

Your hosting provider should be the one to help you…

And, never install your ./data/ in the www- root of your server. This is the absolute best way to screw thing up or be hack !!!

1 Like