Importing ICS files compared to OwnCloud

Hi all,

I’ve made a switch from OwnCloud to NextCloud and wondered if anyone had come across this before?

When I imported an ICS file in OwnCloud I could simply click the file itself from within the Files module, it would ask which calendar to import it into and I would have the option to blank the calendar before import.

When I do this in NextCloud, it simply show the content of the ICS file. If I want to import, I have to import from within the Calendar module and from a file stored on my PC not from within my cloud.

Any ideas because I think I might have missed something perhaps?

Thanks,
Arthur

I have noticed the same thing.

Importing calendars now seems to only be possible in the calendar widget.

The calendar app was completely rewritten after owncloud 8.2. So it takes some time until they implemented all features. There is already a pull request to implement this feature:

Having used both, I prefer the newer calendar app’s approach to importing. Importing into the calendar app belongs in the calendar app, not off some other place. When I first used the owncloud calendar app, It did not occur to me to look in some other app for import capability, and I asked for help to find it. Please keep things conceptually simple.

1 Like

I had the same problem. :grinning:

Not really relevant if the functionality should be somewhere else or not, it originally was possible from the files app to do this therefore functionality that people have gotten used to has now disappeared. I’ll be honest though, it wasn’t immediately apparent to me either when i first started using and I had to google it which in itself doesn’t lend itself to being very intuitive in the first place :frowning:

I have not found any documentation on how to import into NextCloud. As far as I can tell, the user doc is completely silent on how to use it. So:

If you want to import a calendar repeatedly, you should create a new, separate calendar. That way you can delete it and import it again. That is the easiest way to avoid buildup of duplicate entries. Similarly, if you want to delete a calendar later on (say, a calendar for an event).

You may first have to install the calendar app. That is beyond the scope of this write-up.

To create a calendar:

• Navigate to the calendar app. In the upper left hand corner of your NextCloud web page, click on “Files”. Click on “Calendar” in the pop-up menu.

• Delete an existing calendar. In the list of calendars on the left panel of the window, click on the ellipsis (three horizontal dots). Click on “Delete”.

• Create a new calendar. Click on “+ New Calendar” in the upper left of your web page. Give it a name, select a color (preferably one that does not conflict with any existing calendars). Click on “Create”.

• Import a calendar. You may find it convenient to have an extension of “.ics” on the file you wish to import. In the lower left, click on “Settings”. Click on “Import calendar”. Navigate to the file you wish to import. Select it and hit the appropriate button on your file selector. Select the calendar you wish to import to, such as a newly created one. (N.B.: “New Calendar” does not appear to work. Firefox 45.5.1 on Debian Linux) Click on the check mark. You should see the phrase “import scheduled”, then a progress bar. You should then see the freshly imported calendar information on your web page.

1 Like

I have reported the failure of “New Calendar”. https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/2597

1 Like

@ccurley: Feel free to contribute to the official documentation: https://github.com/nextcloud/documentation/issues