I would migrate to nextcloud from owc

I have now:

owncloud 10.0.2.1
php 7.1.5
mariadb 10.1
redis
8Gb DB

I passed from 9.1.4 to 10.0.2 and the sync is very very slow (I can’t work with it), if I pass from owc to nxc(nextcloud) then I speed up the sync?
the client owc work with nxc server or I have to reinstall all client on every desktop (500 pc)?

thanks

I guess nobody can say if the migration will speed up your sync, because there are just too much possibilities why it is slow.

As far as I know the owncloud desktop client is still compatible with nextcloud, kick me if I am wrong.

Just make a full backup of your owncloud instance including databases etc etc and try it out. I guess you need to adjust the owncloud version number in your config.php back to 10.0.0 to be able to upgrade. Some admins faced problems while trying to upgrade from even oc 10.0.1 to nc 12, because the internal version string of the last oc is higher than last nc or something: Migrate owncloud 10 to nextcloud 12

The migration page also says that upgrading from 10.0.1 is not yet working, which should include 10.0.2: https://nextcloud.com/migration/

How can nobody say if the migration will speed up my sync?

With owc 9.1.4 (same 8Gb db, same resources) was more speed than now with the 10 version (and, in add, now there is redis server) … so I guess the software owc 10 have some problem. I guess if nextcloud start from version 9 maybe it is more speed than owc 10…

I see this situation in server:

https://testgs.salcef.com/server.png

and this in client (from 3 days ago) with only 7 connections:

https://testgs.salcef.com/client.png

thanks

We can say it should do, but won’t guarantee it. As @MichaIng says because it’s not a solution installed in the same environment on the same hardware each time we can’t state what may be the issue with your system upgrading to OC10; if everyone had that experience - which they don’t - OC10 would have been patched to fix it pretty quickly.

If you have the resources, replicate your install on another system - physical or virtual - and run a test migration. If it’s slow you have your answer, if it isn’t you can safely backup your production server and perform the migration.

If this system is important to you, which I’d imagine it will be, you shouldn’t make any changes without first verifying on a test system IMO.

thanks for reply, but how do I replicate the system if the clients go to production (many users)?
the problem is client <-> server sync…
thanks for patience

I shouldn’t really be having to tell you how to setup a testing environment if many users are relying on this system… but:
I would clone the existing setup, users and data, to another server. Dump the DB and reimport it as db2, then edit the config file of the clone to point to the new DB and allow access from a different host - both in config.php.

Presumably if you have full backups you could use this as an opportunity for a DR test and restore everything to a new server. Or, if you make use of vmware, docker or lxd it’s even easier, grab a snapshot and create a new system from it.

When you’re up and running on your new host, take a snapshot so it’s easy to restore, then upgrade to 10. At this point you can either yourself generate a lot of data and setup sync to test, or ask a user to - not on their normal profile, but perhaps another profile or another PC all together (I haven’t figured out if you’re a host for a group, or an admin in an enterprise, so some of this may not be possible). Then test!