HTTPS certificate

Hello, I want to configure the HTTPS certificate for my nextcloud server but I have a problem.
I have a domain in 1 & 1 with SSL certificate and I don’t know if I can use it in any way or if I have to install the recommended one let’s encrypt.
The 1 & 1 domain is pointing to my nextcloud server.

Thank you.

If the domain name matches exactly (the part between https:// and /) then you should be able to use it. You will have to install it manually in your web server.

1 Like

Your domain is something like mycloud.com (maybe mycloud.de since you are with 1&1).
Your Nextcloud server name is something like nc.
And this server has an IP address, something like 12.34.56.78

When someone on the internet points its browser to nc.mycloud.de it will hit your server.

The simplest way to assign an SSL certificate to your server is by using letsencrypt.
This way you don’t even have to pay anybody for it…

But you can also use the cert offered by 1&1.
To install it you will have to follow the guide that 1&1 offers for their SSL certs…

1 Like

thanks for the answer, so in order to use the ssl certificate that 1and1 offers I have to install it manually on the server where I have the nextcloud server?

the guide is on the web?

honestly which of the 2 certificates is easier to install? the one from 1and1 or the one from let’s encrypt?

thanks

Yes.

Don’t know. If 1&1 offers SSLs, it must have some docs how to install them.
As a general note, SSL certs are most of the time three certificates.
The question is, in what form are they issued…
So, for example, GoDaddy, GlobalSign, Comodo all do them differently.
Hence, you’ll need 1&1 docs to do them right…

From let’s encrypt.
Here is a good write-up (if nginx is your web server)
https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ubuntu-nginx-nextcloud/

1 Like

You’re not actually installing the certificate in Nextcloud. You’re installing it in the web server that’s also running Nextcloud. So you can follow pretty much any SSL setup guide.

As far as the difficulty, honestly LE is quite easy, and it’s also automatic once set up. Your manual cert will also have to be manually updated periodically when it expires.

Here is how to set it up.

1 Like

@UndMe you should tell us in which way you setup nextcloud. to be more precise which web server you are using.

btw: certificates expire. letsencrypt certificates are valid 90 days and have to be renewed. there are several programs you can use to automate this process. if you do this right it’s very comfortable. i don’t know if there are tools provide by 1&1 to renew their certs.

1 Like

Thanks for the answers.
I’m going to try to install the certificate I have from 1and1 so I don’t have to worry about renewing it for up to 1 year.
The question is: install nextcloud together with the ubuntu server 20.04 installation and I can’t find the apache folder, what is the location?

Edit:

Looking for information on the internet I have seen that this installation has the name of snap.

If I list the services that I have active, it tells me that it is active:
snap.nextcloud.apache.service

Thank you

I never did any of the non-standard installs - docker, snap, etc. Can’t comment…

If you do this for the first time - and have the option of a “traditional” install, i.e. dedicated Linux box running Nextcloud - start with that…

Where are you getting that these are non-standard or aren’t a dedicated Linux box running Nextcloud? The Docker image is very much official, and the snap package is maintained by Canoncial.

Wrong wording: should have used “exotic”…

@UndMe

follow this link: GitHub - nextcloud-snap/nextcloud-snap: ☁️📦 Nextcloud packaged as a snap

1 Like

Thanks for the answer, I have followed the guide that the github puts without any failure.
But when I enter my website: www.nextcloud. *****. It gives me an unsafe website error.

I have port 443 open, I don’t know what may be down.

Edit1:
I have edited the configuration file config.php where it says trusted_domains but I can’t access it.

Edit2:
If I access with the name without www, the connection is https. But if I log in with www. it is not safe.

This just means the SSL cert was issued for the ONE name, without www.
If this is a letsencrypt certificate, re-run it and list two names…

1 Like

thanks for the reply.
It is not a let´s encrypt certificate, it is a custom certificate from my domain name provider 1 and 1