HTTP User on Debian 8.1 - File Permissions

hey there,

I’m trying to install nextcloud for the 2nd time. (the first time it had been running (web installer) and then there were files locked and I had no database passwort + any idea how to get the right permissions done, because occ comands won’t be executed because of the rights…) Now I use the server installer (.tar.bz2).

my first question (I’m sure there is coming more) is about this lines in the admin installer manual:
mod_env and mod_rewrite must be installed on your webserver and the .htaccess must be writable by the HTTP user. Then you can set in the config.php two variables:

so the mod env and rewrite are activated and my question is, what is the http user? I’m running a debian 8.1 (jessie) and I have no idea…

my 2 problem, maybe not, is the old nextcloud installation is still on the system (before the new beginning (installation) there had been the 500 internal server error with a white page) - now it tells me the same but with a nexcloud page, would it be better to delete the old files with filezilla or is there another way?

hope you can help me - if something isn’t clear just write it, I’m a little bit confused because I’m little experienced and apache had stopped working for 5minutes. (there are some websites on the server…)

best regards,
drakul (max)

The Apache user in Debian is usually www-data. You will need to prefix any occ command like this:

sudo -u www-data php ./occ [command]

given, that you have changed into the nextcloud directory. If you con’t care about your old NC installation, you could just remove it being root on the system, but maybe that isn’t even neccessary. However, if you decide to remove your old NC installation, you should also remove it’s corresponding DB in Mariadb (presumeably).

thank you budy.

would be chmod -v 777 .htaccess the right command?

I’m going to delete the old version, everything is in the nextcloud folder or is Mariadb in another folder?

and is there any difference between webinstaller and tar.bz2 installer?

edit1:
well found this now:

chown -R www-data:www-data /var/www/nextcloud/config/.htaccess doing this for my folders don’t help me, now I get a white site with this text:
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator if this error reappears multiple times, please include the technical details below in your report.
More details can be found in the webserver log.

before doing this, the background was blue…

edit2:
now I have deleted config.php and the bluebackground is back

Interner Serverfehler
Der Server konnte die Anfrage nicht fertig stellen.

Sollte dies erneut auftreten, senden Sie bitte die nachfolgenden technischen Einzelheiten an Ihren Server-Administrator.

Weitere Details können im Server-Protokoll gefunden werden.

Technische Details
Entfernte Adresse: 80.110.95.137
Anfragekennung: nkQsXDFfdHvQhtvWDOcn

also german is back - anyone any idea what is going on here?

update:
by using the ipadress in the browser x.x.x.x/nextcloud I could enter an administrator account
and install nextcloud

how is it possible to install nextcloud with domain.tld/nextcloud?

Switching language… :wink:

Also… die .htaccess-Datei muss www-data:www-data gehören und folgende Access-Rights haben: 644

Dann musst du die DB direkt in MySQL oder MariaDB löschen. Die Zugangsdaten dazu musstest du bei der ersten Version eingeben… und sie stehen auch in der config.php der alten Installation.
Du kannst auch den root-Zugang zu MySQL/MariaDB benutzen, wenn du den hast…

Der Web-Installer und der Server-Installer unterscheiden sich soweit nicht.

Ist das ein lokale Installation, oder eine gehostete Instanz?

.htaccess hat 644

habe jetzt bereits die alte installation gelöscht (einfach den nextcloud ordner entfernt, somit sollte ja alles “deinstalliert” sein oder habe ich da etwas übersehen?)

ich benutze ispconfig, also eg. würde ich gerne für unterschiedliche domains unterschiedliche nextcloud installationen “machbar” sein lassen :slight_smile:

eine frage noch: dadurch, dass ich den ordner cloud jetzt mit dem root user angelegt habe kann ich mit meinem normalen ftp user keine dateien bearbeiten, ich benutze proftpd, gibts es eine möglichkeit dem ftp user wieder die rechte dafür zu geben? suche schon länger danach…

Also, die Sache mit den Zugriffsrechten sollte sich leicht mittels chmod -R user:group /pfad beheben lassen. Wie das mit der Datenbank aussieht weiß ich allersings nicht, ich habe so ein setup up nicht. Vieleicht setzt du ja auch statt MySQL SQlite ein, dann könnte die DB auch direkt im NC Ordner liegen und die alte somit jetzt weg sein. :wink:

danke fĂĽr die antworten :slight_smile:

eine etwas eigene frage, aber woher sehe ich zu welcher group der user gehört? ftpuser@ftpgroup oder eher ftpuser@www-data? hab das linuxrechtesystem noch nicht komplett durchblickt…

standardmäßig wäre sqlite eingestellt, dies ändert jedoch auch nichts an der aufrufweise über ip…weißt du zufällig wo man nachlesen könnte wie es in etwa funktionieren würde? bzw. vlt muss ich auch was bei ispconfig einstellen - ich frage dort auch mal nach.