HTTP Error 500 after 16.0.8 to 17.0.3 Update

Nextcloud: 16.0.8 - 17.0.3
Debian NGINX
Shared hosting
PHP 7.3

Cannot connect to instance after upgrade from 16.0.8 to 17.0.3 using updater.
Updater runs without error. On “Return to NextCloud” get either blank page in browser or HTTP Error 500 and sync apps cannot connect.

After restoring files from backup can access HTTP again and folders after adding new connection.

Tried updater a second time, same thing happened. Blank page or HTTP Error 500 and apps fail to sync.

I’ve seen posts here reporting similar but can’t see obvious solution. Apologies if I’m missing something obvious. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Off the top of my head, it might be that you just have an incompatible extension installed. You can try moving your plugins out of their folder temporarily and see if NC will then load up.

The best thing to do would be to check all the logs, PHP, apache, Nextcloud and see if anything pops out, then work from there.

I would disable all apps with the occ command and try again.

hello. just an idea - what worked for me … disable unsplash or splash app. it will work ok after.
i had to read all the log files to find the issue.
also you can try with occ to find the problem by running :
/var/www/html/nextcloud# sudo -u www-data php occ integrity:check-core

/var/www/html/nextcloud# sudo -u www-data php occ app:check-code unsplash … here it will tell you if app has abnormalities

/var/www/html/nextcloud# sudo -u www-data php occ app:disable unsplash