How to share all files for admins

Nextcloud version : 13.0.1

The issue you are facing:

Any files added by admins, who have full access are not available to other admins without specifically adding permissions to each file.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): No

Steps to replicate it:

1. Add any file to any folder shared with admin permissions
  2. Check file permission via web or desktop
  3. File is not shared or viewable by other admins only the admin who added it

I have 500 files to add to an install in 20 folders.
All users will have full access permissions
I’ve uploaded the files into the folders
Folders have correct sharing permissions
Other Users/Admins can only see the folders, nothing of the contents

Is there not a way to share all files/folders without doing that on an individual basis?

Thanks

An ongoing issue not just for me
There are numerous posts in this place reporting and querying about the same issue/
Sadly most are solitary … zero response

Am I wrong in assuming that no one else has ever had this issue?
Am I wrong in assuming this is a known fault that we don’t talk about?

It’s just frustrating and as an ardent promoter of NextCloud I’m at the point of exiting
It’s becoming unfit for use.

This isn’t personal and while I’m frustrated, not angry, I’m happy to leave and just forget it.if this is in the all too hard basket.

In order to rule out mistakes or misunderstandings I clarify the procedure.

1. AdminfolderX is shared with the group “admin”. - The sharing permission is set to create-change-delete
  2. Users who are also assigned to the admin-group are admins and should have access to their private data and the shared data with their user or group.
  3. New files are added to the adminfolderX via uploading to the webinterface or WebDAV/Sync-Client.
    If files are added directly on the filesystem(server) to the nextcloud-data folder Nextcloud does not know about these files as long as they are not maintained in the database.
    Nextcloud has to rescan the data folder. This has to be done manually via console command or script.
    Make sure the file filesystem ownership of all files is something like www-data:www-data (webserver-user).

I was not able to reproduce your issue as the subfolder-sharing system works fine for me.
The sharing permissions of the folders are inherited to all files and all sub-sub-…-folders.
So you just need one sharing-permission for the adminfolderX where your 20 sub-folders are located.

Folderstructure exaple

Nextcloud-user: userXYZ assigned-group: admin
- catpictures (private - no sharing)
   | - cat1.jpg
   | - cat2.jpg
- adminfolderX (shared to admin [group])
   | - sub1
       | - fileX.txt
       | - sub2
              | - sub3
              | - fileY.txt (this should have the same permissions like the defined ones in sharing the adminfolderX)
   | - sub4
   | - sub5
   |- sub20
- adminfolderY (shared to admin [group])

Sharing at root-level (user root directory) is not intendet.
If an admin needs to access an user-account and its data he or she could use the app Impersonate to login as the user.

If this is correct it is strange. I have no other ideas so far.

This is a community-forum where you get mostly unpaid help by users. There are many new topics every day. When the problem is well described and it is trivial or others have experience with your problem you should get a quick response. Otherwise your topic disappears in the forum simply because of the default sequence order.
As you can see there are tons of topics without response when set the order to response.

Thanks for getting back EV21
Understand about the Community support process as I’ve been a long term participant in other open source communities such as this. :slight_smile:

Referring to your description;

- adminfolderX (shared to admin [group])
   | - sub1
       | - fileX.txt
       | - sub2
              | - sub3
              | - fileY.txt (this should have the same permissions like the defined ones in sharing the adminfolderX)
   | - sub4
   | - sub5
   |- sub20
- adminfolderY (shared to admin [group])

We have users on Windows and Mac systems using the desktop apps.

They create a sub folder and add a file into that or just add a file to an existing folder under adminfolderx shared folder using the app installed on their desktop.

Adding folders/files to adminfolderx don’t end up having the same permissions and are therefore not shared with the group

This comment is challenging

Nextcloud has to rescan the data folder. This has to be done manually via console command or script.

Why? How?
I can do a force sync via the app in the taskbar and nothing changes when I view things on the browser…
Wasn’t an issue with OwnCloud but is an ongoing issue here.
What console command or script are you referring to?

Thanks again

If you don’t change files at the server-filesystem you don’t need to do a rescan. It was just an additional information just in case…
Desktop apps should do their rescan automatically.

Your problem description is now more clear, but I still have no idea how to fix this. Maybe someone else has…

Thanks for the clarification
I figured this bit

Desktop apps should do their rescan automatically.
Challenge is even when I force a rescan the files don’t change ownership.

Thanks for your help in seeking clarification for me
Yup I hope I can get someone else to assist