How to set up files

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version _20.0.2:
Operating system and version _Raspian:
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25):
PHP version (eg, 7.3):

The issue you are facing: None really, I just was looking for some documentation on how to set up the directory structure for Nextcloud. I have been looking and can’t find anything on how to set things up. I just want a cloud data server that will let me share my files on my home network. I want an existing file structure shared. That seems a pretty simple thing to do, but not apparently in Nextcloud. Many thanks in advance.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N):N/A

Steps to replicate it:

1. N/A

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

PASTE HERE

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

I do not really understand what you want, can you give an example?

In Nextcloud, you have one large data-folder where Nextcloud puts all the user files. Then it’s up to each user to figure out how they want to manage their files. By default, this data-folder is within the Nextcloud-code (just the data-subfolder) but you can put this datafolder anywhere else. Some put it on a separately mounted storage.

If you are talking about the few files and folders each user has at the start, you might want to take a look here: Providing default files — Nextcloud latest Administration Manual latest documentation

Many thanks. What I have is a Raspberry Pi 4 working as a FileServer in my home. I have another PI running as my Media Server (Plex Server) and the third Pi handles my security cameras. All are managed from my Fedora Laptop.
What I was looking at Nextcloud to do was take over the FileServer’s job and maybe act as an application server. I currently have a file structure on the FileServer and implement network shares using SAMBA. That works great, but I wanted to try a new technology, specifically Cloud, to see if there are any advantages. As a first cut I simply wanted to run NextCloud on the Samba server and set up my shares in the same way. But I couldn’t find anything in the documentation that discussed a philosophy for how to configure the file structure to maximize the capabilities of Nextcloud. Since I use a PI as my file server, I was especially interested in using External Hard Drives (USB drives) as the storage medium. I currently have two 1TB drives connected and configured as a Raid1 storage. This is where all my files reside. So I wanted to configure Nextcloud to use the same file structure so I don’t have to do a lot of file transfer.
Many thanks for any help you can provide.