How to see logs of all NC users as an admin user

Nextcloud version (eg, 12.0.2) : 15.0.2
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25) : Apache
PHP version (eg, 7.1) : 7.2.1.6

QUERY:
We are trying to see if an admin user can see/check the logs and activities of all NC users from his/her account.
This would be helpful to track the activities carried out on a particular folder as who made changes to it and what activities were performed on this.

Hi,

If it is a shared folder, you can use this app to inform admins over the activities regarding the shared folder:
https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/files_trackdownloads

Regarding the logs: On the server itself there are no “user logs” actually. There is only the nextcloud.log which you can read in the Web GUI as admin under “Settings -> Logging”. It doesn’t track user activities though.
The web server access log shows every request to the web server and one can read a little bit which IP address was doing what, but that’s nothing compared to the details the activities app of Nextcloud can show.
The only real “user logs” would be the logs on the user’s devices when they use the NC apps (desktop or smartphone), but they probably don’t provide the information you are seeking and most of all you can’t access them as an admin, because they are placed on the user’s devices.

The NC web GUI apps are therefor your best option I believe. However, I definitely need a shared folder then. You cannot monitor the user’s activities regarding their own folders.

1 Like

Thanks, this was really helpful. Is there a way we can see in logs as when a user’s account was created and see logs against a particular user ?

Hi,

I have admin access to a shared folder and I would like to access the log including the access to the server. I can not see the “Logging” section in Settings. I already activated the Auditing / Logging app. Do you have any clue?

Thank you in advance.