How to restore lost bookmarks from a backup?

hey forum,

for which reason ever i deleted all of my bookmarks yesterday - by accident
(the long story is: new computer - fresh browser (ff) - installed floccus und wanted to sync “directories” - didnt succeed (at least not the way i thought i would work). deleted all the bookmarks from browser, set up a new account, chose "legacy"and re-synced --> everything gone)

so is there a possibility to get them back from my daily backups (i keep 7, i think)? and if yes, so how do i restore them?

looking back to your answers
cheerio
jimmy

awww. and if you’d need more information on my setup just let me know and i’d provide them. of course.

Oh, my. That’s unfortunate. Sorry for the trouble you’re in.

It should be fairly easy to restore your bookmarks by restoring all bookmarks related database tables, though.

That’d be

• oc_bookmarks
  • oc_bookmarks_tags
  • oc_bookmarks_folders
  • oc_bookmarks_folders_bookmarks

Regarding floccus: a new account shouldn’t actually delete any bookmarks on first run. Are you sure it was the new account? What were your problems with the default sync method, specifically?

thanks very much @marcelklehr

ummm. i’m still a kind of noob when it comes to working with databases… so how do i restore them FROM the backupped database (where is it usually located) TO the recent one?

sorry for asking… but wells…

i could open a thread for it on GH if you’d like

i could open a thread for it on GH if you’d like

That’d be great :slight_smile:

so how do i restore them FROM the backupped database (where is it usually located) TO the recent one?

I don’t know where your backups are located, but usually mysql is backed up as an executable SQL file, that you can feed into the mysql client program to restore the state of when the backup was created. The challenge then would be to make sure that only the bookmarks tables are affected by the restore process. You can try to remove everything else from the file that is not needed. There are probably lots of tutorials out there that explain line by line how to restore such a backup.

thanks again @marcelklehr - i think i found an easier solution. my ff seems to make backups of it’s bookmarks. and so i could restore a recent backup of my booksmarks under the ff-setup - bibliothecs - bookmarks - manage bookmarks (lower left corner) - backup & restore .

about floccus… when i’ll find some time to do that i’ll do it.

This could be solved by implementing a recycle bin in the Bookmarks app:

1 Like