How to protect local files from modification

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Windows 3.4.0
Windows 10 Home 20H2

The issue you are facing: Files synced via nextcloud started dissapearing locally after being deleted on the synced server. I am wondering if there is a way to set syncing preferences so I can ensure that local files are never deleted, only mirrored on the server?

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? Yes

If they are not deleted locally they are not in sync anymore. :wink:

The advantage of client/server is the fact that you can use/modify your files on client and server.
If you have the data only on client or server and delete it there, the file also is deleted.
Nextcloud is (in sync mode) no backup tool. Use daily backups for your client and server.

But you have non sync options. But this does not describes your problem.
Read this article.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. It is unfortunate (for me) that Nextcloud doesn’t have this functionality as I was hoping for something a bit more open and community oriented than the usual suspects to use as a personal backup. Oh well, back to the search!

Maybe there is a possibility to build something like that. But actually the local cloud folder is part of the cloud rather than part of your local machine. Maybe you just need to rethink accordingly.

1 Like

That’s a good point. I suppose I could see if I could have the mirroring happen between a duplicated set of folders on my local system, thereby protecting the local folders.

Basically Nextcloud is just a storage place whose content you can access either via WebDAV or via WebUI. If anything, it’s the Nextcloud Sync client that doesn’t do what you want.

Synchronisation and backups are two fundamentally different concepts that also serve different purposes. Backups are made for disaster recovery or to restore data that has accidentally deleted or changed. Therefore backups should be immutable and have a defined retention period. Synchronization, on the other hand, is all about making the files available on multiple devices in order to work with them.

Ideally, you have implemented solutions for both concepts that complement each other, i.e. you are using synchronization in order to work with your files on multiple devices, and in addition to that you would also do regular backups of the data. Ideally to a seperate server or at least to a seperate drive.

1 Like