How to lock down users to external storage only

Greetings:

I am running NC 10 and 11 in my environment and was wondering if there is a way to lock down userā€™s storage to external storage only. Basically I want users to be only able to use external local storage that I configured among a specific group. I do not want them to use NC for their own personal files instead whole group need to see what they have uploaded or downloaded.

Okeyā€¦ I believe I might it found a temporarily solution. I have simple limited user quota to 2MB but made them part of a group that has rights to external storage. So far from my testing with that test user, I was able to upload as much as I could to the external storage which what I was looking for. Of course, that user can only allocate 2MB of quota space for their personal usage. If somehow has other suggestions please let me know.

Thatā€™s the usual workaround.

I have not idea how else you could do it. Perhaps from OS level by placing XFS quotas on individual user folders in /data.

File system quotas is another way to achieve this. ownCloud provides a feature in the enterprise version that you can directly mount external storage as home directory. NC tries to implement all these enterprise features in NC for free, but I donā€™t know the status of this feature.
If you need it and there isnā€™t a feature request on https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues, you can open one.

Thank you much tflidd. I have submitted issue #3343.

1 Like

How to make the home page without default files and folders. External storage only

THX

If you follow the feature request, you see that this already realized:

You just need to add such an external storage as admin for a user.