How to get Nextcloud to show more (all) top menu items?

I’m trying to figure out a way to make Nextcloud show ALL top menu items, and not all, except for (for instance) one.

In searching for a solution here on help.nextcloud.com I read that the file
core/js/js.js
supposedly contains
var minAppsDesktop
and that changing the number after that from 8 to a higher number should make more menu items show by default, instead of them being hidden inside the “more” menu option.

However… That file does not seem to exist (anymore) in the version that I am running.

I did find
minAppsDesktop
but that was in
/core/js/dist/main.js.map

And it’s in there without the var in front of it. So it doesn’t work like this.

Any tips or suggestions on how to get Nextcloud to show more (all) top menu items?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Nextcloud version: 18.0.1
Operating system and version: CentOS 7.7.1908
Apache or nginx version: Apache 2.4.6
PHP version: 7.3.15
Database: 5.5.64-MariaDB MariaDB Server

Have you considered using this app:

https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/apporder

I am already using the AppOrder-app. It’s a nice app.
However… Changing the order of the top menu items does not make it show all top menu items.
It just makes it hide other top menu items.

Hmm… I know it does not do what you want but atleast that way you get to have the prominent apps one click away but if you are already using it then that is not going to help… for what you are looking to do perhaps a github issue may not be such a bad idea.

Hi there,

What I did was adding Custom CSS app to my NC instance and add this little piece of css:

ul#appmenu li {
  display: inline-block !important;
}

This will make all app shortcuts visible but the ··· More shortcut will remain visible and expandable (you can hide it with more css) and if window is too narrow it will hide some apps

in general there’s a discussion about it going on (github)… and it think there even are temporarily workarounds mentioned there…

For those bumping into this - Nextcloud 20 has increased the nr of apps on the top :wink:

It still won’t be enough for ppl who install all 200+ apps in our app store :crazy_face: but it should be a step forward and solve it for most.

what @jospoortvliet just said

plus: try custom menu-app… great!

1 Like

So I noticed :slight_smile:
Thanks!