How to create events with "show as busy" via CalDAV?

Nextcloud version: 13.0
Operating system and version: Ubuntu 16.04
Apache or nginx version: Apache 2.4
PHP version: 7.0

I can create events in Google Calendar on my Android device. They are synchronised to the correct calendar in Nextcloud. But there’s only a setting for the event privacy: Public or private, or “calendar default”, which in my case is the same as public. Nextcloud calendar supports three states: Show completely, only show as busy, and not show at all. How can I configure this to only show as busy by default from Android? Can I set the calendar default for this single calendar as “only show busy”?

This is a shared calendar and I don’t want details from this calendar to be visible by others, but they should see that I’m busy at that time. Another shared calendar for group events is fully visible and that’s intentional.

I should add that I’m using DAVDroid to synchronise events.

Hello,

You have to distinguish between the privacy (which corresponds to iCalendar “classification”, CLASS) and the free/busy status (equals to transparency: transparent events leave your time free in the calendar, opaque events make you busy).

This is a shared calendar and I don’t want details from this calendar to be visible by others, but they should see that I’m busy at that time.

You need to set your event privacy to “confidential”. This is not available in default calendar apps, but supported by Android and DAVdroid. At the moment, I only know aCalendar+ to support this field, so it should work with aCalendar+ :slight_smile:

I know the difference between “free/busy” and “show details/show as busy only”. I found a lot of topics about the other issue when I was looking for a solution.

So the summary is, Google Calendar only lets me set “show details” or “don’t show at all” but not the middle way. Good to know that this is kind of supported by the underlying standard. But in the end, it’s not yet helpful because I have no solution.

What about the option “calendar default”? Does this mean that I can specify that “confidential” setting somewhere in the server calendar and all non-supporting apps can then use the confidential setting via the default option? In the case of Nextcloud, should I ask there about the default setting? (Their calendar is really basic and doesn’t allow much configuration at all.)

You can find more information about this here:

If you need to set “confidential” on your Android device, the solution is to use a calendar app that supports this feature, like aCalendar+ (see screenshot in our forum). If you only need to edit “confidential” events on your Android device without losing the classification, you can use any calendar app (and leave the events as “server default”).

Basic support of this functionality has been added to ETAR (Android open source calendar app).