How to change the default landing page when you login

Nextcloud 13.01

The default landing page on Nextcloud when I login is the files page. I would like to have the ability, by user, to change the landing page to an external site I’ve setup.

Is this possible through either Nextcloud or an App?

Thank you.

I did another search and just discovered that an App called App Order may do what I need.

i’m afraid but it won’t change the landing page. it just effects the top-menu-bar…

changing it by user? i’m not sure if this would work. but you can change it by adding something to the config.php -file… like 'defaultapp' =>; 'appname'

“You can easily let Nextcloud redirect your user to the first app in their personal order …”

really? how? i never found out about it

• Install AppOrder.
  • config/config.php:
    'defaultapp' => 'apporder',

• In Personal settings/ Additional settings move the desired (default) app at first place (on top of the app list).
  • After login or click to the site icon you’ll be redirected to your standard/ default app.
7 Likes

Thanks all for your comments. Yes I’ve confirmed that App Order will do what I need.

Any other way to do so? Snap Nextcloud doesn’t allow to edit the config.php file, even as root.

Had the same problem with snap. The editable file is at /var/snap/nextcloud/current/nextcloud/config/config.php.
It’s a little late but maybe I can help others with this information. Worked for me :slight_smile:

Edit: You don’t need “apporder” for this… just type ‘defaultapp’ => ‘files’, into the confic under the main array to set files as the landing page

App Order is not compatible with Nextcloud >= 25, so any other ideas?

The answer is right above your post.

Add the following line to your config.php

'defaultapp' => 'appname',

…and replace 'appname' with the name of the app you want to open on login.

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/configuration_server/config_sample_php_parameters.html#user-experience

1 Like

yeah, that sets it globally, but with App Order the users could choose themselves, which is what we need

You could checkout Custom Menu as an alternative to App Order, but I’m not sure whether it can be used to set the default app.

Or you could use browser bookmarks as a workaround:

https://cloud.yourdomain.tld/apps/files
https://cloud.yourdomain.tld/apps/calendar

etc…

Custom Menu needs PHP >= 8.0, so not an option yet (and a bit overkill for our use case).

Actually we would only need a UI setting (e.g. in the personal settings) that sets what is actually already possible to set via database: Allow default app to be overwritten by user config · nextcloud/server@db86bea · GitHub

I’m not aware of such a setting or an app that does this, sorry. You can check on GitHub if there is already a feature request for it and if not open a new one…

The parenthesis are wrong, at least on NC 27, so NC won’t even allow login to the website, but adding this to config.php works:
‘defaultapp’ => ‘files’,

Note the use of >> ’ <<, instead of >> ‘ <<

Edit: OK, this is weird. The forum changes the single paranthesis, which are vertical to ones that are slightly angled. For the code to work, it needs to be the vertical ones, like !, so the manually typing will work, while copy pasting the code will not.

The Discourse forum software supports Markdown syntax. You can use Backticks, Code Blocks or Fenced Code Blocks in order to post code or plain text snippets.