How sett rules for trashbin?

Hi,
I have been reading the manual but I don’t undestand if I should write D5, D6 if I want the files to bee deleted from the trashbin after 5 days and then deleted forever after 5 days or if I should write 5, 6 ?

D5, D6 would keep files in the trash bin for at least 5 days, after 6 days they will be deleted. This only applies if the user has enough quota, if he is short then files from the trash bin can be deleted earlier.

According to the manual the default setting should bee:
‘trashbin_retention_obligation’ => ‘auto’,

But I can’t find that line in my /var/www/nextcloud/config/config.php why’s that?
Should I just enter ‘trashbin_retention_obligation’ => ‘D5, D6’, ?

This is almoste the same it’s regarding the version.
I was trying to write:

'versions_retention_obligation' => 'D2, D3',

But then I did get this error message:

Warning	files_versions	D3 is not a valid value for maximal versions retention obligation. Check versions_retention_obligation in your config.php. Falling back to auto.	2017-07-03T15:30:02+0200
Warning	files_versions	D2 is not a valid value for minimal versions retention obligation. Check versions_retention_obligation in your config.php. Falling back to auto.	2017-07-03T15:30:02+0200

According to the manual it should be written with D before the number but I’m guessing it’s wrong?

D1, D2

keep versions for at least D1 days and delete when exceeds D2 days

So should I write the code like this?

'versions_retention_obligation' => '2, 3',

D1 etc are just place holders for the actual number of days. So your final idea is the correct one to keep files for at least 2 days and at most 3 days in trash.

As I understand, this is not right. The files will be kept at least for D1 days, even if the quota is reached. Also the quota does not include trash and versions (like e.g. dropbox), right? If I understand right, the files will be deleted between D1 and D2 days if the servers free space becomes tight. If this happenes and server is not able to remove trash/Version files because their age does not reach D1 days, it’s the admins trash to free up/add drives or whatever, otherwise the whole server will stop working. Correct me, if I am wrong ;).

So, when I typ 2, 3 then it’s empty the history day 2 and then delete it forever after day 3.
it’s the same regarding the trashbin?
Day 2 it empties the users trashbin and day 3 the system deletes the files forever, right?

2, 3 means, the files in trash respectively versions will be kept for at least 2 days and will be deleted definitely after 3 days. In between the files will only be deleted, if space is rare and additional free space is needed.

I am not 100% sure how the system handles this “removing as required”, but as far as I know, user quota does not include trash and versions, so it’s not about full user quota. I guess it is just a worst case system, if the whole server is running out of free space. If this is true, on a good managed Nextcloud system with enough backup drive space, versions and trash will be always kept until the second number of days, so until 3 days in your case.

Ok, so the correct way to type it should bee:
1, 3 then the trash are only deleted when needed during that time frame but it will always get deleted after day 3?

And it’s the same for both version and trashbin? The rule.

Exactly :slight_smile:

1 Like