How do I get the beautiful icons and emoticons in the Collective App sample landing page?

How do I get the beautiful icons and emoticons in the Collective App sample landing page? Will something like this be built into the Markdown editor or have I overlooked the function?

Cheers
Frank

Hi @frank.scheuer

It is already built in. If you don’t see the symbols and emoticons, maybe the MySQL 4-byte support is not enabled in your database…

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/22/admin_manual/configuration_database/mysql_4byte_support.html

Okay,…I didn’t know that before. I could only use emoticons in the TALK app. I didn’t realise that they were also generally supported in the Markdown editor. Thanks for the tip

Hi @frank.scheuer, thanks for your feedback :slight_smile:

Until Nextcloud 22, you’d have to copy the emoji from some other place and paste it into the editor.

Starting with Nextcloud 23, we have an emoji picker in the Text app that helps with inserting emojis. You find it in the editor toolbar next to the other formatting icons like Undo, Bold, Heading, etc.

And we’re already working on emoji autocompletion support, so in the future you’ll be able to type ':` and can select from a list of matching emojis, just like it works here in the editor of this discussion platform. We hope to get this feature in Nextcloud 24. See Add emoji autocompletion (#987) by mejo- · Pull Request #1961 · nextcloud/text · GitHub for details :blush:

2 Likes

@mejo is of course right. The emoji picker is only available in the very latest version of the Markdown editor in Nextcloud 23. Didn’t think about that. If the emojis are showing up in other places and in the default template of Collectives, your database is most likely configured correctly.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick reply. Then I’ll wait for the 23’s or just copy them.