How can I download a file from its preview screen?

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.2): 20.0.3
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): latest nextcloud docker image
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): nginx
PHP version (eg, 7.1): latest nextcloud docker image

The issue you are facing:
tldr: I cannot find a way to download files from their preview screens.

Maybe I’m stupid, but when looking for pictures for a photo book I noticed that there is apparently no option to download a picture from its preview screen.

I looked at the pictures in preview mode to decide which ones were good and wanted to download them to my local machine. Right-clicking the image only saves the large preview file but not the original image. And I cannot find a button anywhere. I had to go back to the file/gallery view and look for the file again there (not easy if you have 5 similar pictures differing only a little bit) and download from the file list.

For PDF files, the same thing happens. I can look at the PDF in preview but there is also no download button, only a toolbar, a hidden sidebar but both without download options.

Is NC really missing this basic feature?
Or is this configurable somewhere?

Thanks

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): No

Steps to replicate it:

1. Open a preview of a file, e.g. a picture or a PDF
  2. Preview opens
  3. Look for options to download the file
1 Like

You’re not the first one who misses this feature, as you can see in this issue ticket:

1 Like