Hosting providers recommendations

Hello everyone,

Iā€™m fairly new to NextCloud, itā€™s been few days Iā€™m searching for a good hosting provider for my personal use.

What I am looking for is a cheap price, a good amount of storage and the possibility of installing apps (or why not having multiple users too). I found few options here:

• cloudamo
  • https://allsync.com/ : very cheap indeed, any reviews about it ?
  • Hetzner : read a lot of good reviews about it, but does it ship with any office apps ? And can we install apps/manage users ?
  • tab.digital : my current provider (free plan)
  • contabo.com : Just worried about the SSL part, while selecting the plan, you have to add 74.99ā‚¬ for a SSL. Is there any possibility to do it manually ?

I have another question. Does those providers really respect and guarantee our privacy ?

I also found a good solution to extend the storage by using External storage. Can we do it with any of those providers ? Because there is a solution with Wasabi to do so.

Thank you for your replies.

3 Likes

I think the best wy is to host it on your own.
You can get a VPS for 5 or 10 euro a month.

Some more nextcloud providers:

1.) Hosting . De

2.) Pixel X

3.) Webo . Hosting

4.) portknox . net

Hello, thank you for your reply.

Can you suggest me any good VPS provider apart from Hetzner.

Also, from your list, Iā€™ve checked hosting. de and it seems good. The only problem itā€™s in german and I donā€™t understand germanā€¦

How about providers that Iā€™ve listed ? Especially allsync, sounds too much good to be real!

You can always add a free certificate by Lets Encrypt manually.

Regarding VPS providers, Hetzner still might be one of the best choice, they also have this snapshot feature, so for us withought systemadmin knowledge, when something goes wrong with an update or so it is easy to restore.

Apart from them, I have had good experience with Liteserver, Time4VPS, and php-friends

I was stumbling across the same question while i wanted to move away with our files from Microsoft to a provider in Germany.

However the best guarantee will not help if there is still a ā€œman in the middleā€ having access to the files directly.
You can get as much guarantee as you want, but once the data are compromized, the guarantee will not help to revert it. There is always the human factor in between.

One of the reasons why i am using now my own cloud at home, knowing about the additional risks on it.
Or you encrypt the files before upload. Doesnā€™t prevent you from stolen data, but itā€™s harder to use them.

Thanks for making it clear.

Iā€™ve just checked VPS providers, Time4VPS seems go to me. If I choose a VPS option, I have to manual install/manage everything by myself, right ?

I understand that, but Iā€™m not in a good position to do that for now, iā€™m a student, but Iā€™m willing to do that one day.

Understandable. Not everyone is able to simply spend ā‚¬200+ just for playing around with a cloud.

It also took a while for me to come to that conclusion.

Iā€™ve just checked VPS providers, Time4VPS seems go to me. If I choose a VPS option, I have to manual install/manage everything by myself, right ?

a VPS is a pure box with nothing on it. Pretty similar to a root server. Beside the installation you will be responsible also for security and hardening.

I donā€™t know about your budget, but i do have a root server with hoster netcup in Germany. With a rabatt code i pay currently 6 Euro per month without having any performance issues (the server is not running nextcloud but a different application where good performance helps)

Yes, but there are some solutions that help you setting things up correctly, for example NextcloudPi which is just only a one liner:

curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nextcloud/nextcloudpi/master/install.sh | bash

see here:
https://ownyourbits.com/nextcloudpi/

My favorite is the VM by Hansson IT, it feels like a managed Nextcloud:

The website looks extremly nerdy and confusing, targeted at system administrators only, but somewhere there was a script for setting up Nextcloud on a VPS, ah here it is:

I have been using it for a year at least and it has been working very well, it makes it easy to install many extras, also regarding security. By the way, system requirements are much lower than written there, even 512 MB RAM with one CPU core is possible, but 1-2GB with one core would be more than enough. You donā€™t need this VMware player either, I donā€™t even know what this isā€¦

1 Like

Contabo. You can use Lets Encrypt for free.
https://contabo.com/en/vps/

I would like to vote for Netcup.
I have a root server and a webhosting package there since years. Not a single issue so far.
They sometimes offer special offers in their ā€œSonderangeboteā€ section.

Also some vouchers for getting a better price can be found while googling.

Hey, have a look at us! We offer managed Nextcloud or Managed VPS with Nextcloud.

We are not the cheapest, but we offer very good support and a fast cloud.

Hello everyone, sorry for my late reply.

Thank you all for your feedback, iā€™ll take that in a count and decide:

cloudamo.com - from free to business packages:

• FREE 3 GB with large amount of free apps, onlyoffice, talk, notes, gallery, audio.
  • Basic Cloud from 4$ for 100GB, extra GB is only 0.02$ per GB, up to 5 TB, full install, admin panel, cPanel, email, ssl, and much more, fully managed and supported.
  • VPS and dedicated solutions , fully managed and supported.
  • Locations : Canada, Singapore, Germany, France, USA
  • Extra for FREE : SSL, support, upgrades, migration and more ā€¦

Cloudamo does not manage or support Nextcloud.

Just had a lengthy conversation with Cloudamo support which ended with a statement that I need to bring issues here.

1 Like

Hi, can you be more specific, we can not solve problem if is bug or similar, please what is ticket ID to check ?

The trouble was never investigated, no logs checked or requested. Basically, just told to go away. A good suggestion, take money and go elsewhere.

1 Like

Would you please provide ticket ID to check this ?

Hi, have a look at xaweho.de! We offer Nextcloud Hosting and Managed Nextcloud (on VPS).

Weā€™re not the cheapest on the market - but we always try to be the one with the fastest servers and the best support :slight_smile:

We offer everything from 10GB to unlimited storage space. If you want to get to know us, you can test one of the Nextcloud hosting plans for one month free of charge (code testmonat) or get 15GB permanently free of charge.

1 Like

Webo is awful. Theyā€™re what I utilize currently; their payment system is atrocious, and theyā€™re quite expensive.