Help with rsync command from old NAS to Nextcloud

Hello all,

Firstly, thank you for this software - I love it and I am really enjoying using it. I am running the latest version, freshly installed only a matter of weeks ago.

I have posted this over at the Open Media Vault (OMV) forum but no replies as yet so I am either being stupid or this question needs asking elsewhere, so here it is!

I am quite new to the command line and whilst I have set up rsync jobs before (and they worked - yay!), I have a quick question.

I have an installation of OMV4 on an old desktop with several shared folders for family members and a new installation of OMV5 on a Dell server. The Dell server has Nextcloud installed through Docker as per this excellent guide: [How-To] Nextcloud with Letsencrypt using OMV and docker-compose.

I access Nextcloud through https://domain.duckdns.org/nextcloud, and it works really well.

So, I’d like to transfer some data from the shared folders on the old OMV machine to peoples new “Documents” directories on Nextcloud.

This is what I’m putting in (via a terminal connected to the OMV4 machine using ssh), but, to be blunt, it doesn’t work. I’ve either messed up the command or its a privileges thing. I think.

‘dolly’ is my daughter’s nickname, and her real name is Hannah, so you can see that I want to copy her files off the OMV4 machine from ‘dolly’ and into her new documents directory (belonging to ‘hannah’)

rsync -av /sharedfolders/dolly/ root@192.168.1.37/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-234ddefe-df8d-4d5e-91f9-8b0375a0d13f/appdata/nextcloud/data/hannah/files/Documents/

I’d like to put the directory “dolly”, complete with contents into “Documents” of the same user on the Nextcloud machine.

Here’s the ugly and shameful output:

root@openmediavault:/# rsync -av /sharedfolders/dolly/ root@192.168.1.37/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-234ddefe-df8d-4d5e-91f9-8b0375a0d13f/appdata/nextcloud/data/hannah/files/Documents/

sending incremental file list

rsync: mkdir “/root@192.168.1.37/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-234ddefe-df8d-4d5e-91f9-8b0375a0d13f/appdata/nextcloud/data/hannah/files/Documents” failed: No such file or directory (2)

rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(675) [Receiver=3.1.2]

As I said, I’m not sure if this is a privielges thing, perhaps directories ar only to be created by the respected user? I just don’t now.

Thank you,
Nick.

Not sure if your formatting has just gone wrong. I found different command, some would suggest that something like this should work:

rsync -av /sharedfolders/dolly/ root@192.168.1.37:/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-234ddefe-df8d-4d5e-91f9-8b0375a0d13f/appdata/nextcloud/data/hannah/files/Documents/

Or to more explicitly to pass through ssh:

rsync -e ssh -avz /sharedfolders/dolly root@192.168.1.37:/srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-234ddefe-df8d-4d5e-91f9-8b0375a0d13f/appdata/nextcloud/data/hannah/files/Documents/

So you just forgot the colon : after the ip address, so it looked like a local folder name and wasn’t considered as a hostname.

1 Like

Ah, thank you so much, I was still agonising over this this evening so I was really pleased to see your reply! I’d never have spotted the damned semicolon!

Out of interest, what is the benefit of rsync -e ssh -avz over rsync -av? I’ve done a little digging but not found anything too clear.

Just runnig the command and it looks to be working like a charm.

Thank you!
Nick.