Help with Email

I’m extremely frustrated with NextCloud’s email system. It doesn’t immediately save drafts, it’s difficult to type in multiple recipient addresses, and every time I send a mail, it nearly always doesn’t send, returning “Error: Request failed with status code 500”

I’d like to run it through my gmail account, but I’m struggling to do that, too. I’m used to a variety of email account provider,s and I’ve never faced so much anguish over simply sending an email.

Please help.

Thanks in advance

Will

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.2):
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04):
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25):
PHP version (eg, 7.1):

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N):

Steps to replicate it:

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

PASTE HERE

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE

Hi, and welcome to Nextcloud
Could you please fill out the form?
Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.2) :
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04) :
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25) :
PHP version (eg, 7.1) :

The issue you are facing:

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N) :

Steps to replicate it:

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging :

PASTE HERE

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____ :

PASTE HERE

No, I don’t understand that and I just want help to configure the email with Gmail, thanks

It will help me help you if I have that info,
May I please walk you through the steps?

I have no idea about any of the info you’re requesting. If you cna point out where I might find that info, I’ll get it.

I’d just like the email to work. I’m not a techie. This is beyond frustrating. Sorry. I know you’re trying to help.

I know I have had the same issue it is very frustrating , 1st, are you hosting it or is someone hosting it for you (ex. profreehost)

Hi. My company set it up, so I have no idea about hosting, I’m afraid, when I log in it’s via 'desk.[company name].com

oh ok, are you the admin on it?

no, I’m not, sadly

waiting…

Sorry about the late reply I have had a lot on my server, I just moved my email to local!

I think that this is something that you have to take up with your support desk.

WTF @Willster this is a free support forum for home/non-enterprise users. Why are you so rude if people try to help you in their free time?

waiting… - as if you paid @sturtz_nate for sitting around with you and

? You didn’t even try to.

You should definitely be more polite if you expect help from other community members. Otherwise

If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com

1 Like

Stefan, Sorry if my comment caused offence. I have no idea what this forum is or who it is run by. I assumed, as I got here by clicking the ‘help’ box within the programme, it would be run by NextCloud?
Secondly, I’m extremely grateful to ‘Sturtz_Nate’ for offering to help.
Thirdly, I have no idea what he’s asking for.
I’ve just started a new job, I’m not a technical person, have never even heard of NextCloud before, and was simply thrown into this system at home - and it doesn’t work for me. My view of NextCloud is simply the front end - I can’t even find a way of discovering what version I’m on or anything like that.
Meanwhile, I still can’t send emails, drafts are lost and I’m no further into resolving the issue.
I’m not a rude person, just an extremely frustrated user who is looking stupid in front of a new boss and clients due to my ‘NextCloud’ experience.

1 Like

Well then :slightly_smiling_face:, let me explain, Nextcloud is a software and not a service. This means that your company or whoever installed this software. Your data stays in your company, not at nextcloud.com or so.

So, it is likely a configuration mistake, which you should report to your IT department of your company (or your hoster - the one who installed you this stuff). If it is really a bug in the software, then we need this information. You should be able to get it from the same person who gave you your address, passwords and so on.

Thanks Stefan, that’s clear! Thanks all for your patience with a newbie. I hope to get it sorted following your advice. I’ll report back if I’m told what the issue is! Have a great day.

1 Like

Thank you too. Let us know if we can help with more explanation about how Nextcloud works or anything else :slight_smile:

1 Like