[HELP!] Unable to sync my Nextcloud calendar with both Thunderbird and Davdroid

I’m sorry if this question has already been asked, but after browsing this site (as well as the Thunderbird and GitHub sites) for a while, I couldn’t find an answer to my problem. I tried some stuff I found related to Thunderbird (something about the advanced configuration of Lightning and having to set a file on “false”), but it didn’t fix anything. So, here it is:

Since yesterday, I have a double problems of synchronization for my Nextcloud calendar. I use the latest version of Thunderbird and Lightning on my desktop (Ubuntu 18.04) and the latest version of Davdroid as well as the latest version of the Nextcloud apps on my mobile devices (Samsung Galaxy S7 and Samsung Galaxy Tab s2, both of which have the latest version of android that was available to them).

On the Thunderbird side, my calendar, which is normally synchronized with my nextlcoud calendar keeps deactivating itself, meaning that none of my events and tasks are showing up in Lightning. When I click on “properties” and click on “switch on this calendar”, as soon as a press “finish”, it re-deactivate itself. I tried to re-do a new connection between Lightning and my Nexcloud calendar, but as soon as it is set up, the calendar de-activates itself. The only way I can have my calendar is to download it from Nextcloud, import it into Lightning and then, the only way to have both the same calendar is to make changes in Nextcloud calendar, since the .ics sync is only one-way.

On my mobile device, also since yesterday, the connection between my Nextcloud calendar and Davdroid isn’t working anymore. So, I tried to re-set up the connection between the two by suppressing my account on Davdroid and making a new one with the same Nextcloud information. But this time, it tells me “No access possible to the CalDav or CardDav services”. I tried to re-set it up from the Nextcloud app settings, but I get the same result. It does so for both of my mobile devices. This means I can’t access my Nextcloud calendar from my mobile devices anymore nor add new tasks or events from there and have them synchronized with my calendar on Lightning.

As I rely a lot on my calendar and task management apps, this is a real problem for me. So, hopefully, someone can help me here! I thank you very much in advance!

What does the Nextcloud log say?

I don’t know. Where and how can I find the Nextcloud log?

It depends on your configuration but the default location is nextcloud/data/nextcloud.log

I’m not sure that is the log, but when I get on my basic settings, I got the following message:
It’s important for the security and performance of your instance that everything is configured correctly. To help you with that we are doing some automatic checks. Please see the Tips & Tricks section and the documentation for more information.

• Some files have not passed the integrity check. Further information on how to resolve this issue can be found in the documentation. (List of invalid files… / Rescan…)

• The PHP function “set_time_limit” is not available. This could result in scripts being halted mid-execution, breaking your installation. Enabling this function is strongly recommended.

• No memory cache has been configured. To enhance performance, please configure a memcache, if available. Further information can be found in the documentation.

• The PHP OPcache is not properly configured. For better performance it is recommended to use the following settings in the php.ini :

opcache.enable=1
opcache.enable_cli=1
opcache.interned_strings_buffer=8
opcache.max_accelerated_files=10000
opcache.memory_consumption=128
opcache.save_comments=1
opcache.revalidate_freq=1

Please double check the installation guides :arrow_upper_right:, and check for any errors or warnings in the log.

When I checked the warnings in the log, I got literally hundreds of messages such as:

|Error|no app in context|RuntimeException: Error starting process

0. /home/clients/b6f610ef95e5dadfe7a348e168ff2a22/nextcloud/apps/files_antivirus/lib/AvirWrapper.php - line 77: OCA\Files_Antivirus\Scanner\Local->initScanner()
1. /home/clients/b6f610ef95e5dadfe7a348e168ff2a22/nextcloud/lib/private/Files/Storage/Wrapper/Wrapper.php - line 298: OCA\Files_Antivirus\AvirWrapper->fopen('files/Notes/Hum...', 'wb')
2. /home/clients/b6f610ef95e5dadfe7a348e168ff2a22/nextcloud/apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/File.php - line 166: OC\Files\Storage\Wrapper\Wrapper->fopen('files/Notes/Hum...', 'wb')
3. /home/clients/b6f610ef95e5dadfe7a348e168ff2a22/nextcloud/apps/dav/lib/Connector/Sabre/Directory.php - line 156: OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\File->put(Resource id #666)
4. /home/clients/b6f610ef95e5dadfe7a348e168ff2a22/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php - line 1096: OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Directory->createFile('Human health im...', Resource id #666)
5. /home/clients/b6f610ef95e5dadfe7a348e168ff2a22/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/CorePlugin.php - line 529: Sabre\DAV\Server->createFile('files/amcbeldi/...', Resource id #666, NULL)
6. [internal function] Sabre\DAV\CorePlugin->httpPut(Object(Sabre\HTTP\Request), Object(Sabre\HTTP\Response))
7. /home/clients/b6f610ef95e5dadfe7a348e168ff2a22/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/EventEmitterTrait.php - line 105: call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
8. /home/clients/b6f610ef95e5dadfe7a348e168ff2a22/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php - line 479: Sabre\Event\EventEmitter->emit('method PUT', Array)
9. /home/clients/b6f610ef95e5dadfe7a348e168ff2a22/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php - line 254: Sabre\DAV\Server->invokeMethod(Object(Sabre\HTTP\Request), Object(Sabre\HTTP\Response))
10. /home/clients/b6f610ef95e5dadfe7a348e168ff2a22/nextcloud/apps/dav/lib/Server.php - line 287: Sabre\DAV\Server->exec()
11. /home/clients/b6f610ef95e5dadfe7a348e168ff2a22/nextcloud/apps/dav/appinfo/v2/remote.php - line 35: OCA\DAV\Server->exec()
12. /home/clients/b6f610ef95e5dadfe7a348e168ff2a22/nextcloud/remote.php - line 164: require_once('/home/clients/b...')
13. {main}|
| --- | --- |' 

and

Error	PHP	proc_open() has been disabled for security reasons at /home/clients/b6f610ef95e5dadfe7a348e168ff2a22/nextcloud/apps/files_antivirus/lib/Scanner/Local.php#57

Does that mean anything to you? I have no idea how to interpret this.

Sorry, no. It seems like your Nextcloud instance is running in a restricted environment. On first glance, sabre which is responsible for the DAV functionality can not operate on files. You would need to provide more logs though. Are you the administrator for this instance? There seem to be several other issues that might be responsible for the problems you experience.

Hello,
Maybe I’m going to say something stupid, but how is your php set up?
Are you on a shared web hosting services?

1 Like

Hum, I’m not sure. I’ve set up my Nextcloud account on the servers of the web hosting company where I’ve an account for my email and website. Is that what you would call a web hosting service?

I have set up my Nextcloud account on the server of the webhosting company where I have my website, domain name and emails. It’s part of the services they offer their customers. I believe I am the administrator of this instance, as I’m the one who decides which apps are activated on it, for instance. I also decide whether I want to use the Nextcloud calendar and contacts or not. It was working fairly fine until yesterday, but I have set it up only two months ago. Before, I was using OneDrive and other MIcrosoft services, but I’m progressively migrating on open-source softwares like Linux, Thunderbird, FIrefox, etc. So, I’m kind of a beginner here and I’m not used to all these technical layers. :sweat_smile:

You’re going to laugh, but I have followed the instructions from Nextcloud asking me to do the update to the next version and now, I can’t access my account anymore. Each times I try to get in, it tells me that the maintnance is going on and I can’t access my account until it is done! I’m not sure when that will be! And now, it tells me it can synchronize at all, because the account is busy with maintnance. This means I’m not sure anymore whether I’m the admin or not! :joy:

In the interface of your host or in a file at the root of your hosting you must be able to configure how you want php to work.
If I understand correctly, you have to put php 7.2 in php-fpm.
At OVH, php-cgi creates synchronization issues.
Maybe it will help you and may the Force be with you :metal:

1 Like

The fact that your instance is in maintenance mode is a major fact that you should have mentioned from the beginning. This is not something your hoster does but Nextcloud itself. It switched to maintenance mode after the upgrade. It will not be disabled automatically. You have disable it yourself. Check your config/config.php and set:

"maintenance" => false,

Then call the URL of your Nextcloud instance. There might be some additional steps Nextcloud will ask you to perform.

1 Like

I’m sorry that I didn’t specify it at first. I didn’t know I should have mentioned this. However, I have no idea where I should check the config/config.php files. Is it through the browser or through the client app on my desktop?

When you connect to your hosting with FTP, in the folder nextcloud/config/config.php
This file is essential in your configuration!

1 Like

Errr…I don’t use FTP…I have always used the client-side application on my desktop or went directly into the settings of my Nextcloud account through my browser. I’m kind of getting lost here…:anguished:

You need to find out how to modify the config.php. If you have no access to it, then you are not the administrator of this Nextcloud instance and you should ask your hosting provider to repair your installation.

1 Like

I found it out and yes, I do have access to the ftp, so I’m the administrator! I called the support service from the host company where I have my account and my Nextcloud and they explained me how to access the ftp. They also explained me a bit about SSH, but said it might be easier for me to go through FTP, because SSH requires using the line command. They also unlocked my Nextcloud which was stuck on “maintnance” mode and I have been able to complete the update to version 14. So, I have been able to access the database through FTP! I’m sorry for being so ignorant, but I’m quite at the beginning of my journey on Nextcloud.

Alright, I just found the config.php file and the maintenance line is set on false already. Now, you asked me for more logs. I tried the nextcloud/data/nextcloud.log, but it doesn’t work. However, I’ve got a “logging” menu on my Nextcloud dashboard which lists a whole bunch of messages from something called “LevelApp”. Is that what you are asking for?

Cool :sunglasses:
So do you now have access to your login page or is your NC instance still in maintenance mode?

Here is all you need to know about config.php, your most important file with data folder and database:
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/15/admin_manual/configuration_server/config_sample_php_parameters.html

And now, NC is yours :metal:

1 Like

I have now access to my instance. The host company unstuck it for me! I’ll check the link you sent me! Thank you very much for your kind help! I’ll probably need more in other times, because I’m still a beginner, but I hope I’ll progressively figure out where to find the information and also how the forums work (because that is also something new to me).

1 Like

Great! And do not forget to make backups (dump your database and copy files via ftp) as well as put your site in maintenance mode before making changes :wink:
Good NC and see you soon on the forum :v:

1 Like