Help test Bookmarks v0.12

There’s a new nightly release of the bookmarks app v0.12.0-rc2. It comes with an all new interface and new features.

You can help get the new features released by testing the release candidate as follows:

1. Create a backup of your database.
  2. Go to https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/bookmarks
  3. Download the nightly version
  4. In you nextcloud apps interface, disable the bookmarks app
  5. On your server unpack the archive and replace the bookmarks app code in nextcloud_directory/apps/bookmarks
  6. Enable the bookmarks app
  7. Let the migration run and start testing.

Thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the meantime rc4 has been released with a more polished version of the new UI, the ability to delete all bookmarks and to list untagged ones.

1 Like

Just tried the latest RC4, since on the release version, the magnifier icon wasn’t showing in the menu bar. Installing RC4 did solve that issue. This version looks really good already. I’d like to know, though how the previews are generated, since the majority of them - mostly internal sites, are not showing any particular preview, but only a random background.

The preview feature has two possible modes of operation.

1. The more privacy aware mode (which is the default one) simply fetches the bookmarked URL, searches for images in the meta section and in the body of the page and uses the largest it can find. This does not always provide the best results, but works most of the time.
  2. The second mode is used when you provide a URL and access token to a screeenly installation in the settings. It uses the third party service screeenly (which is open source and can be installed on your private server as well) to load the bookmarked URL in a real browser and take a screenshot.

If some pages only appear with a color this can either mean that the webpage wasn’t reachable by the server or in case mode 1 is being used, there is no image available on the page.

I see. So, the contacts app tries to fetch the images from the remote site and not the web extension?

I see. So, the contacts app tries to fetch the images from the remote site and not the web extension?

The bookmarks app fetches the previews on the server, yes. API clients are not able to modify these previews, currently. They might be able to fetch them in the future, though, if there’s a demand for that.

Hi.

Not seen in here for a long time. :slight_smile:
But I installed the RC7 right now. Looks very nice at first sight…
A filter to search the tags would be great.

Cheers,
Andreas

Bookmarks v0.12 has been released thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

1 Like